Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure

i was out for a drive tonight and i noticed when i would stop at stop sings the oil pressure would drop to 0 until i hit the gas again so when i got back i parked it in my garage and the oil pressure went right to 0 so i checked the oil and it was fine looked under the car nothing leakin out its a 1987 gl wagon if anybody has had or knows how to fix this problem

Thanks

IT sounds normal. Hot engine, at idle, even on a new one would be down near the zero. The gauge isn't really accurate down there, either.

It should be around 45 running down the road.

It's bad to put heavy load on the engine at low RPM.

If it gets rattly at idle, check the pressure with a mechanical gauge.

Replace the oil pressure sender. If that doesn't cure it, then it's time for a new oil pump and seals, and probably new cam tower o-rings.

GD

And then you might have 5 psi at idle! LOL

Seriously, this sounds pretty normal.

If you've got less than 30 psi at cruising speed(3-4K rpm) Then you might actually have low pressure.

Sometimes it is just the sender. Sometimes it's the pump. But, sadly, The problem is not alway the pump or the sender. I've replaced good looking pumps and senders with brand new, and still had low pressure.

When this is the case I think it's from worn main bearings. When the journals wear, it makes it easier for the oil to squeeze out, lowering overall pressure. eventually the mains may get bad and develope knock or crank walk(you'll start going through rear main seals like candy). But that is a worst case scenario.

Don't let me scare you though. If you're pressure come up with RPMs and you aren't hearing strange noies, don't worry. But good job noticing, and keep watching it. If it ever wwon't come up with RPMs somethings wrong.