Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will this work, DIY shadetree fuel pressure guage..

A brass tee with two hose barbs to connect in-line in the fuel line with a 100 psi oxygen guage for a welding tank screwed into it. Will the guage that's supposed to be for oxygen provide an accurate reading in fuel pressure?? I mean psi is psi right?

It's all I have right now. And I am testing a fuel injected vehicle so I need tthe 100 psi so I can see if it's a high enough pressure.

Yes.............but:

Adding a tap, with a piece of copper line attached, will also allow you to check fuel volume. If you check the specs, the pump is supposed to deliver X volume @ Y pressure within a time period, you open the tap to dial in the desired pressure, the quantity you drain off becomes the volume in the specified time.

Pressure is important, but so is volume.

My method is also "shadetree"

but has worked for many miles

I used a electronic oil pressure gauge and sender

in a similar "T" config..

This let me mount the gauge in the cockpit

with no worries of fuel intrusion.

The diaphragm in the sender is made

for gas /oil mixes (i.e. diluted oil)

and did not suffer degradation.

P.S. if you have not yet removed the gauge from the regulator

good luck, they are locktited in and are there to stay.

Thanks all for the replies.

I should have noted that the guage is brand new, never used on an oxy tank, and never will be. I don't even own a set of tanks. I have several of these guages and a bunch of other HVAC junk that I saved from a dumpster.

I learned all about the explosive reaction of pure oxygen and petroleum a long time ago. I just wasn't sure if there would be an inaccurate reading using a guage designed for a gas, to check liquid pressures. But psi is psi as far as my brain can comprehend.

I used this set up before I posted, and after bleeding the air out I only got 10 psi on the guage. That's why I asked if this is acurate before I bought a fuel pump. But I may do it all over again using my oil pressure guage, thanks for putting that idea in my head Skip...:rolleyes:

Thanks again!!

Is its a 100 psi gauge Its only accurate over 80% of its sweep. So the bottom 10 psi and top 10 psi can not be relied on. Also you can only read it accurately per 1/2 divison (meaning if its marked 10-20-30 etc) you can acurately read 15 25 35. This gauge wont work for what you want it to do.

nipper