Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?? about ea82 and ea82 turbo distibutors

I have a 1987 GL-10 ea82 Turbo, the distributor is in peices, the guy i bought it from said that the ignition swith or ignition something in the distibutor was bad. so he tryed fixing it him self, well he fail to fix but did great job of taking anything that can come apart, apart so all i have are peices i dont even knw if they are all there, but my main question is, i have an 1988 GL ea82 engine with the distributor, can i use the non turbo distributor on the turbo? a new distributor is about $400 when i got it priced :confused:

Thanks

SS

All EA series FI distributors are the same across similar MAF types. IE - Hot-Wire uses one type of distributor, and Flapper Door uses another. Turbo or Non-Turbo have nothing to do with it other than the wireing connector. They are all 100% interchangable except for the EA81T uses a slightly different housing and drive gear.

GD

All EA series FI distributors are the same.

That being said and correct your 88

should be a fuel inected model,

a SPFI to be specific.

Therefore the plug may be different but the dist

is the same.

Hope we helped?

Actually, if he has a GL-10, then his would be Multi Port Fuel Injection. Oh, and Subaru was nice enough to install at least three different brands of Disties on these wagons. I always have fun going to th local Kragen to get a new cap and rotor, and the person at the counter will have to pull all three types in order to find the right one. This was just yesterday.

Actually, if he has a GL-10, then his would be Multi Port Fuel Injection.

Only if it's an XT, a Turbo, or an '85 model year. Otherwise it would be SPFI.

Oh, and Subaru was nice enough to install at least three different brands of Disties on these wagons. I always have fun going to th local Kragen to get a new cap and rotor, and the person at the counter will have to pull all three types in order to find the right one. This was just yesterday.

The cap thing is true, but all the distributors are pin-compatible if you swap the correct plug on. You just have to stay hot-wire to hot-wire, and flapper to flapper MAF style.

GD

They are all the same.

But IIRC there are some that are pinned differently for different applications. The white and green wires are in opposite locations from what I remember, so you may want to compare side by side before installing.

someone mentioned something recently about installing a Optical pickup unit from a nissan into a loyale disty, who was that? I want to know more?

a new distributor is about $400 when i got it priced
if it comes to it - just buy a used one (or two if you're worried about it), they don't fail enough to warrant $400 for a new one. you could probably get two used ones ofr $50 or less. there's a parts wanted forum - try that.

i have one that has about 3000 miles on it. i bought it new a few years ago, and since then i swaped to a EJ22...

$50+ $10 shipping, or pick up, im south of seattle.

came out of a EA82t has the screw on cap.

i also have lots of other crap i need to get rid of if you need any other EA82 stuff...

-=Suberdave=-