Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK OK, you got me :banghead:

When did production begin for the model year? I see some data saying June.

Thanks for being nice enough about the dumb question Nipper.

From the looks of it, dual sunroofs was an option on the limited in 98 and 99.

The main reason I ask is due to the transmission I'll be pulling this weekend.

The car is pretty well stripped, and was advertised as a 97, which could be correct,

but the car had dual sunroofs, and I don't think they were around in 97.

I'm waiting on a VIN # and trans # to verify the year.

I know the 4eat was changed a bit in 99, so I'm hoping the trans is

either a 97 or 98. May still have to find a TCU though (which is why the year is important to know).

OK OK, you got me :banghead:

When did production begin for the model year? I see some data saying June.

Thanks for being nice enough about the dumb question Nipper.

From the looks of it, dual sunroofs was an option on the limited in 98 and 99.

The main reason I ask is due to the transmission I'll be pulling this weekend.

The car is pretty well stripped, and was advertised as a 97, which could be correct,

but the car had dual sunroofs, and I don't think they were around in 97.

I'm waiting on a VIN # and trans # to verify the year.

I know the 4eat was changed a bit in 99, so I'm hoping the trans is

either a 97 or 98. May still have to find a TCU though (which is why the year is important to know).

but but but but ....Blu is a 1997 Limited, and no sun roof.

You mean Blu isnt special anymore :eek:

nipper

Oh, Blu is special. Don't worry about that.

You could always find a scrapped OB with dual sunroofs and trade roofs with Blu.

The sunroofs were so special, they were only an option on the 98 and 99 limiteds.

They sure do look cool though.

Another thing to look at: I got up close and personal with a dual sunroof before I went looking for a used car.

The front one should pop up, only, while the rear slides open. If the rear pops up only, someone added it to the car. If the front sunroof has at one time been a slider, and the mechanism was disabled, then voila! You have your answer. If the rear is for looks only (no pop or slide), same thing. Most people won't attempt installing a sliding sunroof.

Year/month of make is on the door pillar. Any month after May I'd start thinking maybe that's an early 98.

You do realize, I hope, that even in Oregon a dual sunroof is going to get HOT, right? If you're toting children or animals you might not want them dry-roasted in the summer.

Oh, I'll never have the dual sunroof on my car. Mine is a 96.

There are definitely nights in the warmer months when I would give anything for a sunroof.

Hard to justify the cost though.

Hopefully the owner gets back to me soon. I'm gettin antsy.

you could always put some seriously heavy tint on the sunroof.....:headbang:

how about black spray paint:rolleyes:

Didn't this post start in regards to " The main reason I ask is due to the transmission I'll be pulling this weekend".

The digression of the discussion may relate to the nature of a subie driver to go "off road."

As best as I can tell, after researching it, the dual sunroofs were first available on the 2000 models. For the OBWs, they were standard on the Limited. On the Legacy wagons, they were standard on the GT.

All factory installed sunroofs have shades. Any sunroof without one has gotta be an aftermarket installation.

I can't imagine a front pop-up/rear slider combo being installed as an aftermarket job; while probably doable, it would be complicated and extremely costly to have done.

I really enjoy my Subie's duals, but my one real concern is eventual failure of one or the other (or both:eek:) which is an expensive repair. Just the removal of the headliner material and replacement after the fix has gotta be quite time consuming.

Back in the good days of yore, all sliding sunroofs were manually operated; ya just grabbed a handle at the front of the sunroof and slid it back as far as ya wanted. Nothing, really, to go wrong; they just worked for years and years. But, of course, the glass sliding ones weren't available then.

The electrically operated ones have, of course, more complicated mechanisms and are far less robust than the manually operated sliders of past years.

I've seen plenty of '99's with dual roofs. I think I've even seen some '98's, but the memory is foggy. It's only with the limiteds, but not with every limited. A limited badge does not guarantee sunroofs. I'm not even sure what it guarantees these days on any vehicle. A limited badge I guess.

Most every limited I've seen has leather heated seats and authentic simulated woodgrain dash.

Question answered. VIN is that of a 98.

Guess I'll have to find a TCU on car-part.com.

the TZ102z2dba should work just fine in 97 -98 GT and 96 - 98 outback and 96 - 97 LSi, no TCU swap needed. you want the trans to operate the way the one in your car is supposed to, not the way the new trans operated in the other car.

refresh my memory, you're pulling the trans out of a 98 outback and installing it in what??

96 OBW.

I won't buy a TCU yet, I just remember from the other post (transmission compatibility) that it might need the matching TCU.

There are a few 98 TCU's at a Portland wrecker, so worst case scenario is I pick one up after the install if there's a problem.

I'm stoked I found this trans for $150.

Almost impossible to find a 70k trans for under $500.

The only downside is I don't know the vehicle history.

Here's to hoping it all works out :drunk:

Since I think the transmission compatibility thread is no longer in service...

Does the 98 4eat have an external VSS with a single wire coming off of it?

I need to be sure all the wiring for the 96 will match the 98 trans.

Was the phase II 4eat introduced any earlier than the MY99 Outbacks?

Hopefully it wasn't introduced in late MY98.

Since I think the transmission compatibility thread is no longer in service...

Does the 98 4eat have an external VSS with a single wire coming off of it?

I need to be sure all the wiring for the 96 will match the 98 trans.

Was the phase II 4eat introduced any earlier than the MY99 Outbacks?

Hopefully it wasn't introduced in late MY98.

correct me if i'm wrong. you are installing a 98 OBW TZ102Z2DBA trans into a 96 OBW TZ102Z2CBA?

it is a direct swap. nothing is different. everything on your old trans is in the EXACT same place on your new trans. no differences at all, all the same, perfect match.

bolt it in plug up the connectors and put in the fluid. change fluid in 3k or 6K miles (cheap insurance.)

good luck, and have fun.

i've got a 99 OBW limited with dual sunroofs, thought it was cool when i got it, but, open them both and you get oscillating, pulsating pressure waves that makes you feel like you're changing altitude on a sine wave.

i only open the front.....

I get some of the same noise in my 2000 Legacy but it stops if I open a window. Try and see if that helps.

i've got a 99 OBW limited with dual sunroofs, thought it was cool when i got it, but, open them both and you get oscillating, pulsating pressure waves that makes you feel like you're changing altitude on a sine wave.

i only open the front.....

Yep, even the owner's manual of our '98 OBLTD w/dual roofs makes a point of saying "do not open both at hiway speeds"....