Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will my virginia subaru pass cali emmisions???

Does it need to pass the exhaust sniff test too for nox and stuff like that? If it's in good tune I would think it would pass that too. Some tricks I hear is to make sure the engine is completely warmed before the test, leave vehicle idling at the testing station until your turn (don't shut off), and if necessary put a few bottles of isopropyl drygas in the tank.

Maybe the vehicle is calif. emissions? Those were sold in lots of other states that required Calif. emissions too. I think there's supposed to be this door sticker if it is.

vehicleid.gif

My '96 underhood sticker says it meets Calif. emissions, but it does not have the door sticker, and a VIN# lookup says it is not calif emissions.

These things run so clean, it should pass with no problems. When everything went obdII, the line between cali and rest of the world emissions got really foggy.

I wouldnt worry about it, it should pass with flying colors.

nipper

If you want to register it in CA, there is a method for doing it, it involves paying a couple of special taxes, and passing a local test, which a good running 49 state vehicle should be able to do. The local test will do a visual to make sure it is a completely original 49 state car in good condition, followed by a tailpipe check. You will then get a smog sticker, which will get you through for a couple years. They used to do roadside checks a lot, and would wave you through if you had a recent smog sticker.

if it can pass the fed requirements then it will pass the ca test. cuz its all wheel drive it only has to pass the stationary test. also the ca specs are rather forgiving so i doubt you will have any problems. just make sure the stuff on the car is all there and its all working properly.

george

scrapdaddytatum, as long as the car will pass Federal Smog Regulations, the car WILL be good to go on passing. One nice thing about Cali and the Smog Nazi's here are as long as it's a used None Cali car (one with more than 7500 miles if I remember right), that did not get the mileage coming into State (ie bought new car in NY and drove it to Cali with stops on the way) all you have to pass is Federal Smog (hence the Cali Smog sticker on Cali cars). Soo, as long as there is no Cali Smog Sticker you only have to pass Federal.