Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The SECRET to cleaning subaru aluminum rims??

It all depends how bad they are.

Around here you can buy an aluminum cleaner at the hardware stores (acid, you wear rubber gloves) that will clean the worst off, then it's lots of elbow grease with the polish.

I use "Scotchbrite" scrubbers on motorcycle stuff, followed again, with polish.

i like my fix, gloss black high temp duplicolor paint.

looks really nice with the 205/60/13 race tires i have on em.

ill get pics as soon as i get batteries for my camera.

but if you want to polish the aluminum, first, make sure they arent clear coated, then degrease well. for the polishing part, id reccomend the norton brand sanding pads, basically foam backed sand paper. the 320 grit works great to shine up metal, then move on to mothers mag aluminum polish and finish with their billet polish.

you might also want to use various grades of steel wool to polish if its oxidized or needs some heavy duty cleaning up.

a good metal (aluminum) polish made by mothers, and a 3" diameter cotton cloth disk that attaches to the end of your 14-18v drill. worked wonders for my treated aluminum wheels after some bonehead at a carwash sprayed the acid stuff on them (basically removed most of the clear-coat :mad: )