Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifts

pierman2

Anyone with experience with SJR or HTI lifts. Does the 2" SJR ea 82 suspension lift eat axles? I've also not seen feedback on any HTI products, although the roofrack looks impressive in photos. Anyone purchased an ea 81 or 82 lift from HTI? Opinions welcomed. Thanks.

The newest EA82 car would be a 1994 Loyale, this being 2008, there is a very good chance that over the 14 years the existing suspension would have sagged an inch, add that to picking up the suspension an inch, and I can't see the danger to any axles lifting an old car in the minimalist fashion (ie:lifting only the struts 2").

Though I have purchased no lifts, preferring to make my own, I fabbed my own blocks (6") and stole an extra inch in the struts, with new struts and springs.

Of course those very same axles are likely at least 14 years old, and the boots are likely hard, and brittle, so maybe it would be prudent to re-boot the outer CV's at the same time while you are in there.

Well, If you're going to be pushing your rig to the limit, all lifts are not created equal. I don't know how HTI sets up their lifts, but SJR makes an awesome product. and has tested everything he makes. He's had numerous rigs, and has wheeled the crap out of them. 2" of extra axle strain is a bunch, and would probably work fine offroad......but the high rpms of street driving (especially on the freeway) is what will kill them.

the lifting and compressing of the front suspension during acceleration, hard shifting and braking (modrate to hard or even sudden) eats them. the constant pulling them apart and shoving them back together combined with the sudden angle changes during those operations named above is not good even with a small lift.

my 84'wagon with the suspension cranked with stock adjustment and 14" tires is a little hard on axles not as much as my 86' with the 15" M/T tires but the strain of pushing bigger tires also contributes to axle failure. anything other then stock suspension height and stock size tires will cause accelarated axle failure, driving habits with also aid in this.