Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For you guys running aftermarket headunits

If you only have single-din units, what is taking up your second din? I'm looking to put a nice new pioneer unit in, but I think it would look a little weird if I just leave the bottom din (cd player) there. Is there a cover or pocket I can buy that takes its place?

My '97 Outback had a single din headunit from the factory, with the other space being taken up by a plastic storage compartment. I swapped out the stock unit for a Sony so I could play CD's, and I find the extra compartment very useful for either keeping my MP3 player or CD case in. I'm sure you will be able to find one of these on ebay or in a junkyard fairly easily for a couple of dollars if thats the route you want to go.

Personally, cost aside, I would like to go with a gauge set up similar to nippers, whose I really envy.

I put in an alpine, CD, IPOD deck, and put a plastic pocket I got at best buy at the same time. Pocket comes in handy for extra storage of my crap, and looks nice. Word of warning. Put your deck in the bottom din if its a detachable face. I put it in the top din first and it hits the top of the cooling controls, or if im not remembering correctly it just wouldnt open up on top, something was blocking it. If you use an IPOD, Alpine has the only true intergrated IPOD support, I just plug the IPOD into the alpine IPOD adpater that I have sitting in my glove box, and forget it. You control the IPOD with your deck, little off topic I know, but just say'en. :headbang:

I put in an alpine, CD, IPOD deck, and put a plastic pocket I got at best buy at the same time. Word of warning. Put your deck in the bottom din if its a detachable face. I put it in the top din first and it hits the top of the cooling controls, or if im not remembering correctly it just wouldnt open up on top, something was blocking it.

I had my Alpine in the top din first but when changing a CD with cups in the holder, I had to take the cups out and close the holder:mad: . Never had a problem with removing the face though. Moved it to the bottom and have had no problems with it whatsoever minus not being able to read the face with the glare:rolleyes: .

I had my Alpine in the top din first but when changing a CD with cups in the holder, I had to take the cups out and close the holder:mad: . Never had a problem with removing the face though. Moved it to the bottom and have had no problems with it whatsoever minus not being able to read the face with the glare:rolleyes: .

Like I said I wasnt sure what was blocking it, that was over a year ago when I put it in, could have been the cup holders, but I couldnt get the thing to even open, anyway, yes it works perfect in the bottom din, I dont have the glare issue you speak of. I wish the dimmer worked though, bright as hell at night. I attached the dimmer cable from the car to the deck, checked it twice and still wont manually dim. Hmmmm.