Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 1990 XT6!!!!!! (and- i'm a moron)

i was a bit disappointed to discover that the car that i was told was a '91 when i purchased it (without title, it was just a gorgeous XT6, i didn't care :-\ ) was actually produced in 11\89 . . . < the moron part ;)

. . . then i remembered reading that very few, very very few (!) XT's of any kind were imported as 1990 Model Year cars. "could this be?" i asked myself . . . "no, you're just a moron who didn't bother checking the door plate for the M.Y. before you took a car home . . . there's no way"

about 12 VIN decoder websites later . . . :eek::banana::headbang:

it appears (and a couple of other XT'ers have confirmed) that i have the only known at this time 1990 M.Y. XTanything in the USA. LG300010 is the last bit of the vin, decoded it means that i have car #10 of the XT line built in 1990. (i've read posts that put import numbers somewhere stupid low like 12 total 1990 subaru XT's according to the NHTSA- there's debate about the accuracy of that number- but in any case, its not a big number)

ya know that feeling that you get once in awhile- the one that tells you that you are a better golfer when you play less, or that you did better at the poker tables when you were a n00b, that feeling that sometimes you over-think your way out of good things/situations . . . yeah, thats me right now.

thank goodness i didn't know any better, i might've offered more than $200.00 for the car :dead::grin:

have a great day everybody!!!

chris

i was a bit disappointed to discover that the car that i was told was a '91 when i purchased it (without title, it was just a gorgeous XT6, i didn't care :-\ ) was actually produced in 11\89 . . . < the moron part ;)

. . . then i remembered reading that very few, very very few (!) XT's of any kind were imported as 1990 Model Year cars. "could this be?" i asked myself . . . "no, you're just a moron who didn't bother checking the door plate for the M.Y. before you took a car home . . . there's no way"

about 12 VIN decoder websites later . . . :eek::banana::headbang:

it appears (and a couple of other XT'ers have confirmed) that i have the only known at this time 1990 M.Y. XTanything in the USA. LG300010 is the last bit of the vin, decoded it means that i have car #10 of the XT line built in 1990. (i've read posts that put import numbers somewhere stupid low like 12 total 1990 subaru XT's according to the NHTSA- there's debate about the accuracy of that number- but in any case, its not a big number)

ya know that feeling that you get once in awhile- the one that tells you that you are a better golfer when you play less, or that you did better at the poker tables when you were a n00b, that feeling that sometimes you over-think your way out of good things/situations . . . yeah, thats me right now.

thank goodness i didn't know any better, i might've offered more than $200.00 for the car :dead::grin:

have a great day everybody!!!

chris

PICS!

Steve

as you request . . .

clickey-pics

th_DSC01491Large.jpg

th_DSC01490Large.jpg

my reflection, for those of you who are really skeptics

th_DSC01487_editedLarge.jpg

tried to get one of the body tags, but those things reflect and are really faded, hope this one's clear enough . . .

th_DSC01481.jpg

the photos of the whole car, are on my XT6 project thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87107&page=11

:burnout:

chris

What does the underhood sticker say? Usually under the specs for idle speed and engine family they will say "this car complies with the emmisions standards for 1990 model year passenger vehiclces" That's assumeing that it has a the origional hood, and that the sticker is still on there.

oh thats cool, never noticed that . . .

(the usual, click on pics)

th_DSC01494_edited.jpg

th_DSC01495.jpg

ok, can we consider it "proven" now, or do i need a signed affidavit and blood sample from the Fuji Heavy Industries supervisor on duty that day? :rolleyes:

chris

Yeah, this is quickly becoming a Hemi Mopar kind of deal...... :lol:

Just FYI, that's not an OEM style battery, and the washer fluid would have been green from the factory that year.... NOT blue! :rolleyes:

I say you just hack a hole in the hood, slap an EJ in it, and JB weld a carb to the top!

:grin::burnout:

Yeah, this is quickly becoming a Hemi Mopar kind of deal...... :lol:

Just FYI, that's not an OEM style battery, and the washer fluid would have been green from the factory that year.... NOT blue! :rolleyes:

I say you just hack a hole in the hood, slap an EJ in it, and JB weld a carb to the top!

:grin::burnout:

no kidding . . . sheesh, if only it was worth the money an original Hemi Mopar was worth :eek::banana::headbang:

" . . .and the factory battery and oem washer fluid will be available to the winner of the auction, sir. (said in a snotty too-good-for-you voice :lol: )

maybe i outta have you weld a full outer skeleton on 'er, put a TOYOTA truck under the body and still call it a 90 subaru? :lol:

chris

no kidding . . . sheesh, if only it was worth the money an original Hemi Mopar was worth :eek::banana::headbang:

" . . .and the factory battery and oem washer fluid will be available to the winner of the auction, sir. (said in a snotty too-good-for-you voice :lol: )

maybe i outta have you weld a full outer skeleton on 'er, put a TOYOTA truck under the body and still call it a 90 subaru? :lol:

chris

Oh, now theres a sticky wicket ;)

chris

BINGO!

Then we could run around flaunting our "fabrication skills", and proclaiming we started this whole thing!!!!

It would truely be the best of both worlds:

We could still soak in all the "glory" of being a true "rebel" Subaru enthusiast, while enjoying the ultimate off-road capabilities of a machine that has finally been proven reliable through decades of after market support, and research!

Now all we need is some unfortunate losers checkbook!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to Mike (MPtyza) on the XT board for tracking down some tangible and exciting info on my 1990 XT6.

He tracked down a service bulletin regarding the cybrid steering on XT6's (the "blue wire" recall no doubt) that lists the V.I.N.'s of the cars involved. As it turns out, there were only 9 XT6's brought into the US as Model Year 1990 products.

So, even more rare than was originally thought. But here's the really cool part . . . THERE WAS ONLY ONE AWD. It's the one parked in my garage. :eek: :cool: :headbang:

The Service Campaign Bulletin number is WZM-48. Here's the chart showing the VIN's:

cybridrecall.jpg

Thought I'd share, not only am I very excited, but this is also good documentation regarding exactly how many 1990's there are out there.

chris

alright, where's jeff?

thats a big J/K jeff . . .

but seriously, can i borrow some money for a new project?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What am I supposed to check?

I missed this whole thing!!

Where was I for all this?:grin:

Jeff