Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What I find rather puzzling is why folks who purchase cars with turbo engines in this time of $4 a gallon gas (and headed far, far higher) are concerned about low gas mileage.

+10

Me too.

Driving absolutely foolishly I get 8mpg, you won't hear me complain.

My jeep has this same "current mpg gauge",I've learned to use it as a gauge of when I need to lay off the pedal,it also has an average mpg function that is drastically different from any of the "current" mpg,albeit the dang thing is fairly accurate,at figuring the averages,pretty much any given time my average mpg's match both the car's computer and my math,maybe a 1/2 mpg difference.I'm starting to cringe everytime I punch that 5.2L to make it to the next stop light faster then every one else.

[...]I'm starting to cringe everytime I punch that 5.2L to make it to the next stop light faster then every one else.
Perhaps the next generation of gas mileage computers will have a means of entering the cost per gallon. That way, they can not only show how low the MPGs are when you punch it, but also indicate how much the thrill just cost you -- that might help lower usage. :rolleyes:

I know that some of the new WRXs do but I am not sure about mine, at least I have not found it yet.

Get yourself one. Its also a vacume gauge. the higher the vacume the better the gas mileage. I think you may be on the turbo without realizing it, and that will hurt your gas mileage. once you get used to that bit of extra acceleration, you need to untrain yourself.

nipper

I barely touch the accelerator

It is RPM related, mine comes on the boost @2500rpm, if I can keep the engine under 2500 (in town, or highway) I get mileage, above 2500 and it gets worse the higher it revs. 2500rpm in high gear is 62mph for me. Restricting my top speed to 60mph in flat country nets me 36mpg.

+10 on the boost gauge. For mileage you want the highest vacuum you can achieve avoiding boost.