Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scotty's cocktail ?

Hi,

I was reading some about this lube mix, and was wondering is it good for the Rear LSD type diffs too? most of what I saw was in reference to transmissions, and the diff in them is open. I guess it would be the same except for the clutches in the rear diff, and I know you are supposed to use special lsd lube in them. anyone have it in their unit and opinions?

Thanks

the cocktail is just for the shifting synchros. no need for it in just a differential, just some nice gear oil with a little LSD additive would be plenty.

Just added my Green-Gloop today :banana:

Shift those synchros.

Realized my gear shifting problem is also related to a clutch that bites at the full extent of the peddle press :dead: Will adjust tomorrow and relax knowing the cocktail is sticking to those synchros......

FYI, bought the RedLine online and the other two from PepBoys.

Steve

P.S. Has anyone tried servicing their transmission? I swap in a low-milage one then replace the seals on my current one.......

I was actually wondering if the cocktail would help my crunchy, grindy, pops outta gear...tricky third gear in my coupe.

It helped some in my hatch. Mostly it helps it go in easier - the grinding and poping out of gear is due to worn components so it can't cure that entirely. Mine will only grind if I push it into third too softly - I don't have the popping out of gear problem once it's in. With the scotty's it shifts smoother and easier so the problem has diminished from once every 4 or 5 up-shifts and nearly every down-shift to perhaps once every 20 or 30 shifts in general. Maybe once a week I miss 3rd gear.

Also make sure your linkage is in good repair - the bushings are cheap from the dealer. Was about $15 for all of them on my 4 speed and it helps a lot to know where the gears are, and helps you to feel that you are getting it lined up properly. The bushings may be worse off due to previous owners/drivers forcing the linkage because of the grinding and popping. That bends things and destroy's the plastic/rubber bushings.

But yes - with some scotty's, some linkage repair, and a bit of "getting-used-to", I think that you could get many more miles from your coupe tranny. It's not going to be new again, but it will be much improved and you'll be able to live with it.

GD

FYI. on all my EA82 5-speeds. I noticed a huge improvement from just gear oil, to a half quart of Rislone in with lube of choice, and very little improvement from rislone to the cocktail. And the rislone option is MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH cheaper. I'd recommend trying that first.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the links, but, I did not see anything about what proportions or ratios in there... like how much of each, or if you put just gear oil and Rislone in, how much Rislone, how much gear oil.

and,

if it is the old Rislone quart (which is mainly a cleaning additive), or the near rislone oil stabilizer with treatment added.

Thanks!

This has been discussed heavily on the Legacy board, pictures included. Doesn't sound like a good product after reading this..

Legacy Central

You can go to the beginning of that thread where they they discuss the type of Rislone - Lightweight Shockproof. Says you can order it through Amazon.com. (assuming anyone still wants to try it)

You can go to the beginning of that thread where they they discuss the type of Rislone - Lightweight Shockproof. Says you can order it through Amazon.com. (assuming anyone still wants to try it)

I think your confusing Rislone engine treatment with Redline shockproof.

This thread, at least this part of it, is discussing a cheap alternative to the Scotty's Cocktail.