Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The last thing I remember reading about your '98 OB 2.5 was that the HGs needed replacement. Has something changed, or is the 2.2 deal too good to pass up? Keep in mind that while the '98 2.2 is less prone to HG problems, it's of course not as powerful as the 2.5, and is of interference design like the 2.5.

Well it has the HG issue and a very experienced mechanic had commented that it sounded like it had piston slap as well. I really am not at all concerned about power, my daily driver is an 87 gl spfi. The 2.2 is low mileage and it will cost about the same as buying the HGs and having the heads checked and milled.

Well it has the HG issue and a very experienced mechanic had commented that it sounded like it had piston slap as well. I really am not at all concerned about power, my daily driver is an 87 gl spfi. The 2.2 is low mileage and it will cost about the same as buying the HGs and having the heads checked and milled.

Piston slap is common but not life threatening. I still do not understand why people are replacing 2.5's with 2.2's. I understand putting 2.2's in place of EA motors but not the other. The 2.5's are good motors. Updated HG's and proper maintenance will make for a good motor. We have 3 in our family. 1 DOHC and 2 SOHC and we are very happy with them all.

I found a 98 2.2 litre for a good price and was wondering if anyone knows if this is a direct bolt in or do things need to be modified like mounts or ecm or anything really. I want to replace the 2.5 in my 98 outback with it.

I think the only noteable difference is the 98 2.2 is a single port exhaust so you'll need to use the Y pipe from the 2.2. Also the evap. sys needs mods but not having done it yet can't help you.

Have done this...had to use the 2.5's AC bracket, and used the 2.5's flywheel/flex plate (heard they might be different). As said before, if the 2.2 is 96 or newer you will need the y-pipe too. Also, if the 2.2 does not have an EGR (most auto tranny doners don't, most manuals do) you will have to find a way to swap that over, somehow bypass it, or put up with the CEL. Mounts, wiring, throttle, airbox, etc. etc. all match right up. It really is that simple, don't even need to take the hood off...+1 for the 2.2...

i pruchased a 97 2.5 outback (98k miles) because it had "engine noise" and i had a 96 2.2L engine ready to put in. when i got the car i determined the the noise was piston slap and decided to gamble on 600$ for timing belt, water pump and seals. that was 25k miles ago and it is still running great. i'm at 123k miles and no HG problems so far. it just keeps on slappin'.

my advice is to drive it until it breaks, then decide to repair or replace. this means more miles for your money. when they look at you funny at the stoplight, tell them it's a bio-diesel.

if the 2.2 is really that good a deal, buy it and store it , correctly. but a 95 auto or a 96 would be a better choice, they are non-interferrence engines.

I still do not understand why people are replacing 2.5's with 2.2's. We have 3 in our family. 1 DOHC and 2 SOHC and we are very happy with them all.
that's great that you've had good experiences with yours, but trends don't come out in small numbers. and, like for you, trends don't matter to many people. a small increase in reliability is an eye roller for many people. so it comes down to personal preference.

EJ25's are less reliable and a few people will take the small reliability increase over hp. EJ25's have head gasket issues, piston slap (which EJ22's have but less often), and they also have more rod and main bearing failures as well than EJ22's.