Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To replace oil pan...pull engine??

Do I need to pull my engine on my ea82 to get to the back bolts to pull the oil pan? A rock found my oil pan today and put a nice size hole in it. :dead:

Link to the video.. who can guess which bump did it? I think the 2nd?!?!?

From inside the car...

oilpan.jpg

no dont pull the engine unless you really want to, although it is an easy one to pull. Just remove the bolts in the motor mounts, and jack up the engine, then place 2x4 blocks inbetween the block and thecrossmember and lower the engine, then remove the pan and reverse!

no dont pull the engine unless you really want to, although it is an easy one to pull. Just remove the bolts in the motor mounts, and jack up the engine, then place 2x4 blocks inbetween the block and thecrossmember and lower the engine, then remove the pan and reverse!

exactly ^

you'll have to twist the oil-pan to get it free of the oil pick up, it's kind-of like a puzzle "how the f does this come off?!" not that big of a deal . . .

even with jacking the engine up, a swivel socket or extension is a must

chris

p.s. nice hole :headbang: where's your skidplate???

Alright great, this might not be too much of a nightmare after all.

Skidplate? well um... last time I changed the oil I was too lazy to put it back on... oops... now Im paying for my laziness. :dead:

Thanks for the help! Now Im going to be towed home by a Ford Ranger.... sigh :-\

exactly ^

you'll have to twist the oil-pan to get it free of the oil pick up, it's kind-of like a puzzle "how the f does this come off?!" not that big of a deal . . .

p.s. nice hole :headbang: where's your skidplate???

Do you think my oil pick up is screwed? I have a parts engine laying around, so I just need to know if I should grab the pick up or not?

You'll know once you've pulled the oil pan. I don't know if I'd get one before seeing if it needed it, though, unless you've got to go a real long way to get to a parts store and don't have another car or friend to get you there..

WHAT - JB WELD!!! okay seriously i hate that stuff anyway....

no need to pull the engine. the sump i think hangs more towards the back, it looks okay but will just depend on whether or not the baffles were pushed into it.

it helps to have the new pan you're going to install sitting there next to you as you remove the old one. then you can see the baffles and it helps you snake the sump through for the pan to come off.

not that it's hard but if lighting is bad, you don't have the car far off the ground, etc it may help.

JB weld will patch it, but you need to clean the area REAL good! Down to the bare metal if you can, and remove any of the oil residue. Then it will take a good 6-18hrs for the JB weld to cure. You can get the fast acting JB weld but even then I think it needs 3hrs to cure.

It'll get you home at least.

-Brian

What if I patched it with JB weld or some other patch stuff as a temporary fix so I can drive it 3 miles home? Any thoughts?

. . . i recommend duct tape FTW!

just kidding i don't know if anything will stick to such a greasy surface, just tow it if it's only 3 miles, thats easy . . .

thats a pretty nice sized dent, and the oil pickup starts at the front and bends it's way back and gets pretty close to the bottom of the pan, so yeah, i'd go ahead and grab the other if you can't get back to it later . . . otherwise just wait till you drop the pan and see. . . i think odds of needing to replace it are 70%

chris

i've tried to pull those oil pick up tubes out of blocks before. they are VERY hard to get out. i'd look for some comments or suggestions...actually i've never taken one out. i've tried to thinking why not replace the stupid oring underneath, but was never able to get them out.

they are either pressed in place or can be very difficult to remove for some other reason?

What if I patched it with JB weld or some other patch stuff as a temporary fix so I can drive it 3 miles home? Any thoughts?

jb weld dont like oil, and you would need lots of it to fix this... and you would have to wait a long time. tow it home

i've tried to pull those oil pick up tubes out of blocks before. they are VERY hard to get out. i'd look for some comments or suggestions...actually i've never taken one out. i've tried to thinking why not replace the stupid oring underneath, but was never able to get them out.

they are either pressed in place or can be very difficult to remove for some other reason?

Same here. I once thought it would be nice to replace the o-ring allegedly at the top of that tube, until I realized I was going to break something getting it out. Leave it alone unless it's visibly damaged or loose.

for your viewing pleasure . . . as you can see here, she just unbolts from the bottom of the block

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHA:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just unbolts!

HAHAHHAHHHAHHHAHHA:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously you haven't tried to remove one.

Seriously, they are pressed in hard. Unless the pickup tube is punctured or severely fubar, i would leave it. Even if you have to bend it slightly to get it back to normal position.

If you have to remove it, use some *freeze off*. No, not the wart remover stuff. Should be in the auto parts store next to the PB Blaster and WD-40. Supposed to loosen stuck bolts by super freezing them with a shot of liquid Nitro. It will shrink that oil tube and let you pull it out. Still gonna be way hard though.

IMO, I really doubt it's damaged actually.

The JB weld lasted long enough for me to drive it home last night. Now today starts the replacement of the pan. Wish me luck! :)

JB weld???

What about good ol' welding weld. I mean it's steel, why not just weld it. A low amprage wire feed welder would patch that right up.

DONE!!!!

The oil pick up was in good shape so I did not have to mess around trying to remove it. And yes its in there really tight.

Thanks a million for all the help, replacing the oil pan was actually really easy. She's running great with no leaks. Now I have the rest of my Saturday to mess around! :banana:

Jeremy