Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT registration, car or truck?

The emissions testing stations here are farmed out to private industry but controlled by the State. The older Subaru's with selectable 4wd are put on the dyno, but anything with fulltime and/or AWD will just get the sniffer.

The emissions testing stations here are farmed out to private industry but controlled by the State. The older Subaru's with selectable 4wd are put on the dyno, but anything with fulltime and/or AWD will just get the sniffer.

down here you can just say its awd, and they wont put it on the dyno, so this year is sniff test for the scoob.

Back in the day, my insurance agent classified it as a truck to the insurance company (cheaper), then altered the "malformed" 2 into a 4 at the registry to classify it as a passenger vehicle (cheaper).

BTW, not recommending this practice... he was a modern day Robin Hood who got busted by the Feds 10 years later because he was trying to rob Peter to pay Paul and not let anyone's insurance lapse when money was really, I mean REALLY tight... I know he never kept a penny for himself... he paid one policy with another's money, trying to stay one step ahead, hoping they'd pay up. Nicest guy you would ever want to know... I felt really bad when it happened.

Anyway, now they're registered as a cars. PAN plates. And as far as I know, as long as there are factory installed seats with factory restraints, there is no law that you can't carry passengers in them. Again, if they were factory equipped. The only caveat is the expiration on the seatbelt webbing... you may have to have the webbing replaced professionally?

Actually' date=' the BRAT is registered as a car.[/quote']

My bad, I thought I remembered you saying it had commercial plates on it.

As for Dyno testing in Cali (at least as of Nov. last year) NO Dyno required for my 86. Starting Dec. last year though, they now check the pressure in the gas tank to make sure it's "safe" and not leaking. I don't know about ya'll but I's think they be tryin' to make us get rid our our old better gas mileage cars that don't put out a lot of smog and have too buy new ones (if they'll pay for my new car I wouldn't mind too much, but that'd be the day.)

here in BC the jump seats are the only pickup that can have passengers in the bed.

:D

mine is registered as a truck however i could argue that it was registered as a car in OR... from what i understand it is the same price or cheaper and my emissions can be through the roof.

mine also has to do the dyno thing but it doesn't get the graph. Just need to hold a constant 50km/h for a couple minutes.

hopefully when they do i do it again they won't notice the ej22 sitting under the hood...:-p

I live in Pennsylvania. I have two 1985 Brats. One title says passenger vehicle, while the other says truck. Go figure. Neither have tags so I guess when I apply for them I'll find out what they really want to classify them as! When my "passenger vehicle" Brat was on the road a few years ago I was able to get passenger vehicle (non-truck) tags.