Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Head gaskets..again?

BUMP

Shhhhhh... serious wrenching in progress (looking forward to the next set of photos). :)

Might not be for a couple more days:( Threw my back out moving that motor around...

But I do have a new pretty oil pump sitting on my desk...and a gorgous new clutch kit sitting on the floor beside my desk.:-p

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update...Heads torqued( and for the curious..I took my torque wrench to work and had the calibration checked and verified)...oil pump on....valve covers on.... Tomorrow may play with my angle grinder and some cutting wheels..a BFH and my welder...Also might put the new clutch assemby on.. Have a couple small odds and ends to do yet..like oil pressure sending unit...filler tube and new gasket...

Update...Heads torqued( and for the curious..I took my torque wrench to work and had the calibration checked and verified)

I have got into the habit on the EA's of going to 55 Ft/lbs final torque so as not to require a retorque later - plus I use the Fel-Pro perma-torques as they are cheaper and designed not to require it in the first place. This has worked well for me and others around here plus if you go a bit higher you don't run as much risk of the wrench being off a few pounds light because even if it is you are still on the heavy side.

For reference, 47 lbs is extremely light for head torque. Most engines are well over 100 including the EJ's.... so emperical evidence sugests it's perfectly safe and good insurance if you don't plan on doing the retorque.

GD

I actually went 55 on my final torque..per Turbones recommendation..:) ( said to go 7 over ..so I rounded it off to 8 ) And I did get the Fel-Pro.

I mentioned having my new torque wrench checked for calibration because someone was having issues with me getting the Harbor Freight one. And since I build Blackhawk helicopters its not too much a problem to have something checked.

fshnidiot hooked me up on the Alt brackets. And I finished ordering the Redline Lightweight Shockproof ( and another quart of the Castrol Hypoy C cause I only ordered 1 qt instead of 2 ..DOH!) for Uncle Scotty's Cocktail.

Now I have to find a place to stash the motor out of the way while I clean up and detail the engine bay.And I think I am going to just get a new radiator...better safe then sorry when it comes to cooling systems.

Really upset..wanted to have the car ready for my Company car and bike show...have alot of people wanting to see it..but I doubt it will be ready:-\

And since I build Blackhawk helicopters its not too much a problem to have something checked.

I was always warned in the military never to ride a blackhawk or chinook if there wasn't hydraulic fluid leaking from everywhere....... no leaks means it's got no fluid :eek:

That's cool that you have in-shop calibration though. We just had a fiasco at work because of a broken Snap-On torque wrench - had to track down equipment that was already out the door and tear it partially down to check torque on some critical fasteners.

GD

couldn't the same be said about EA81's and oil leaks? :)

Not the EA81's I own. If you coat the cork gaskets for the valve covers and oil pan in RTV and let it set up they don't absorb oil and become hard. RTV resists the heat and oil so doesn't stop sealing like the cork does. Really once you address those two problem gaskets the rest of the engine is generally leak free. I haven't owned a leaky EA81 in years.

GD

I was always warned in the military never to ride a blackhawk or chinook if there wasn't hydraulic fluid leaking from everywhere....... no leaks means it's got no fluid :eek:

GD

Are you sure the said Blackhawk...and not Harley??? (preparing to be slammed).:eek::-p;)

After seeing some of the people who work downstairs..I wouldnt doubt it..the department I work in has some of the highest standards in the company..I build all the control units in the cockpit.

GD what you mentioned about coating with RTV...I have always dont that to valve covers..and oil pans...but I only do it on the cover and pan side never the motor.RTV is a wonderful thing..if used properly.

I build fuel injectors for the blackhawk. Also the m1 and the f15 and the cobra and apache. Just thought its cool we work on the same aircraft.

Ben

Small world Ben...:grin: I mainly do the Stabilizers some De Icers..and once in awhile I will do the weapons controllers. But lately I have been thinking on going a different route...and finish getting my CDL...something I always wanted.

Right now I should be out in the garage though...but......

Two more...I put the new clutch kit in...and the newly painted crank pully...So..except for a couple small items..like oil filler tube..oil filter..alt...carb and intake...its ready to go back in:banana::banana::banana:( as far as I know :eek:) next will be cleaning out the engine bay..

New AC Delco clutch kit.. ( these pics are because I have been asked for updates :)...notice no AGVs!!!!!)

heads047.jpg

And...well..not too shabby for a girls first solo head gasket and reseal. And looks pretty good knowing its got 235K on it.

heads048.jpg

outstanding! :headbang: get yourself one of those cheap plastic kiddie pools for under the engine bay. then you can really go to town on it. makes for a really easy clean up.

That's such a great idea.

Wow Connie... that's looking REALLY good. Last time I cleaned an engine I definitely couldn't get it THAT clean. I'm finally kicking my project into high gear, looks like you are too. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang::burnout:

Yup...that motor can basically go bak in the car now..if the car was ready for it..

I thought about the kiddie pool thing ..would save me from having to push LB outside ..and then figuring out how to get him back inside..

I still feel like I was being watched the whole time...Dang those 4 square eyes;)...So I have been explaining to LB what i am doing everystep of the way..I think he understands..he isnt being dismanteled for parts..but being brought back to his former glory.

Oh and 'Dude....wire wheel and cordless screw gun ...thats my friend...But I think I was having more fun with my Makita angle grinder ..then the welder today

Yup...that motor can basically go bak in the car now..if the car was ready for it..

I thought about the kiddie pool thing ..would save me from having to push LB outside ..and then figuring out how to get him back inside..

I still feel like I was being watched the whole time...Dang those 4 square eyes;)...So I have been explaining to LB what i am doing everystep of the way..I think he understands..he isnt being dismanteled for parts..but being brought back to his former glory.

Oh and 'Dude....wire wheel and cordless screw gun ...thats my friend...But I think I was having more fun with my Makita angle grinder ..then the welder today

I'm sure LB understands the all the work you're doing for him, it's just all the abuse his poor spare tire is going though in the meantime! :grin:;)

I'm sure LB understands the all the work you're doing for him, it's just all the abuse his poor spare tire is going though in the meantime! :grin:;)

LOL..thats his spare spare....his real spare there isnt any way I would use it for a table..( his good spare has a matching alloy rim....this one is just a steelie)

.... it's just all the abuse his poor spare tire is going though in the meantime! :grin:;)

Bah, once in a while the spare likes to be on the bottom ;)

As for all THIS...

Two more...I put the new clutch kit in...and the newly painted crank pully...So..except for a couple small items..like oil filler tube..oil filter..alt...carb and intake...its ready to go back in:banana::banana::banana:( as far as I know :eek:) next will be cleaning out the engine bay..

New AC Delco clutch kit.. ( these pics are because I have been asked for updates :)...notice no AGVs!!!!!)

heads047.jpg

And...well..not too shabby for a girls first solo head gasket and reseal. And looks pretty good knowing its got 235K on it.

By the time I got to this point I could see pictures of the monolith and began hearing "Also Sprach Zarathrustra" in the background....

and by the time I scrolled down and saw this.....

heads048.jpg

The music was blaring full volume in my mind.

monolith.jpg

monolith.jpg

Eventually, I was waving my arms around acting like a screaming monkey, and had tossed my hat across the room.

ape.jpg

Good work, it looks awesome.

• 1 month later...

Yay!! Board is back up..felt lost with it gone...could have used it yesterday too..but I figured it out.

Anyway..alittle update on this drawn out project...Took a break from it for a bit..Got to a point where I couldnt go any further without some hands on help..and parts.

I loaned out my Weber and intake to a friend who was in dire need of a working carb...It came back the other day..so yesterday I added some new stuff to it..IE OEM T stat and PCV valve. I also attached it to the block...and whoever said that EGR tube is going to be fun...welll...never under-estimate a girl with a hammer on a mission:grin:.

Next Sat ( the 20th) Backwoodsboy and Darlingchip...and Hatchsub and possibly his friend Joe are coming over and we will be dropping the motor back in and ..hopefully ..have it running.

Anyway..it sure is a pretty sight:

aa005.jpg

aa006.jpg

Hey Connie either you or i should contact Bigjim in canada and see about getting you some primary idle jets, a 55, 60 should be good. Ill probably talk to you tomorrow in the chat room about it. As of now its a go for me coming. Hopefully i can get most of my work done beforehand. Either way im there though.

Wonder if Johns got time for sway bar fun-age on my car :)

Edited by hatchsub