Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.7 in 88 wagon conversion help

mellow yellow

• 1 month later...

well, think EJ swap, except you won't need an adapter plate, and the radiator will need a new home.

also, you'll need to find something to do with that extra engine mount.

IMHO, don't bother. same work for similar power as an EJ. but a less reliable motor, that needs more expensive parts, with less aftermarket support.....and heavier. depending on the cost of the donor motor/car, the cost of the swap would be similar.

if you're going to hack up the front of the car to put in an H6, it had better be an EG33.

If you've already got the donor engine your garage in that regard it's cheaper than finding an EJ around here. I've been looking for quite a while and I finally found one at a price I was able to afford... Parts sourcing around here ain't like it is in the PNW by any stretch. Gotta make do with what we've got around.

The fella in Honduras goes by "Loyale 2.7 Turbo" Name's Jezek and he's a great source of info!

• Like 1

The problem is that the ER27 (your 2.7 - 6) is rare and the parts for it are expensive. Couple that with the fact that it's really too long to fit properly in an EA series engine bay and it's a lot more cost effective to install a common EJ22E and get nearly the same power with a much easier install, cheap, availible parts, and newer technology.

In the end the biggest thing that has stopped most conversions to the ER27 is the cooling system. Without lengthening the front end, or locating the radiator on top of the engine there's just no place for it to go.

GD

mr. radon tried (XT6 group member) putting one in his wagon and needed to cut the front up to make it fit...can't recall why - but i'm guessing the radiator. he didn't do it - didn't want to get into all that.

as owner of 20+ XT6's since 1993, a general XT6 fan, and having ER27's all over the place...i'll agree all day long with Numbchux on the EJ swap, it will probably be enjoyable for 10+ years instead of a few.

but i know the south is tough to get subaru stuff for...which kind of bodes well for both ways really...when it comes time to needing parts the EJ is going to be much nicer in the long run.

I had a ER-27 in my 85 wagon for a total of 6 days, granted it was neat and a pain to just get located in the engine bay I liked it(probably b/c it was different and I was able to keep a radiator in the front of the engine with the stock grill). But I am way happier with my EJ-22T in there. There is actually room to work on the engine, easy to remove, radiator with clearance on both sides, cheaper, lighter, more reliable, easy parts...... But yes go for it, it is a great engine with piles of torque and a great sound.

Matt