Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t dumb question

i just finished puting this running motor into my project car, but now it is shooting tons of white smoke. i open it up to check it out, and now i think this thing is shooting tons of oil into my motor. what is this?

whatisthis.jpg

like this much oil

************ty.jpg

that is the auxilury air valve, it kinda of works like the idle air control valve in that it lets air bypass the throttle plate. it uses a bimetal coil to open and close the valve. i want to say that its for when the engine is warming up, but i might be wrong on that, someone will correct me if it is. but yeah, it shouldnt be dumping oil into the engine. if there is oil coming out of it, it is coming from before the valve, i would look at the pcv system and the turbo first.

You may have residual oil in the exhaust system. Let it run for a while to see if it goes away. If not, the oil seal in the turbo is bad.

Is this a AT?

If so, it could be sucking ATF up from the modulator and into the intake.

Edit...

N/M on the AT question, I see its a 5spd.

You may have residual oil in the exhaust system. Let it run for a while to see if it goes away. If not, the oil seal in the turbo is bad.

Is this a AT?

If so, it could be sucking ATF up from the modulator and into the intake.

the motor is from an automatic car, but its now hooked up to a 5sp. i didn't see how oil could be coming from that thing. so its the pcv system or a bad turbo? thanks for the quick replys

Its not coming from it, its being sucked in. The oil is most likely coming from the turbo, which means the seal is bad. Was ther alot of oil in the throttle body and plenum also?

sorry im not up to speed, whats the "plenum" and there was alot in the throttle body

Since you have the plenum off (it is that cast aluminum piece that says TURBO and connects the compressor outlet to the throttle body), what does it look like inside of the turbo's compressor outlet? In the first picture, the rubber connector looks pretty clean and dry. If it is clean down into the aluminum elbow of the outlet then it is probably not the turbo seal that is the source of your oil.

Since you have the plenum off (it is that cast aluminum piece that says TURBO and connects the compressor outlet to the throttle body), what does it look like inside of the turbo's compressor outlet? In the first picture, the rubber connector looks pretty clean and dry. If it is clean down into the aluminum elbow of the outlet then it is probably not the turbo seal that is the source of your oil.

i'll go check that now, and i didn't even think about that file name - oops

thanks for posting the pic for me

Bypass the turbo, run the air intake straight from the MAF, on the airbox, over to the throttle body. Then leave the air or intake side of the turbo open. Leave the exhaust alone. The engine WILL run, and the exhaust will still spool up or turn the turbo. Clean up all the oil from the intake, run the engine and see if oil is coming out of the turbo compressor. If not, turbo isn't the problem. The only other way oil is going to get in the intake is the PCV system.

Hey bud, I was just reading about your predicament. I agree with the others about checking the turbo and pvc system. When the seals on a turbo go, you'll get lots of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. One other thing, take the pcv valve off(which should be located behind and below the throttle body on the backside of the intake manifold IIRC). Get yourself a can of brake cleaner and spray it out. Make sure that it rattles when you shake it. If it does, you can re-use it. If not, it is time to replace. They should be under $5 at just about any parts store. Not sure on the price from the dealer, but I'm sure it isn't that expensive. I know that a stuck pcv valve can cause the engine to suck oil from the crankcase into the air intake piping, and ultimately into the combustion chamber. Boost pressure from a turbo only exacerbates the situation, since the fast moving pressurized air pushes the oil filled air into the combustion chamber. I hope that this helps.

Patrick

Hey bud, I was just reading about your predicament. I agree with the others about checking the turbo and pvc system. When the seals on a turbo go, you'll get lots of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. One other thing, take the pcv valve off(which should be located behind and below the throttle body on the backside of the intake manifold IIRC). Get yourself a can of brake cleaner and spray it out. Make sure that it rattles when you shake it. If it does, you can re-use it. If not, it is time to replace. They should be under $5 at just about any parts store. Not sure on the price from the dealer, but I'm sure it isn't that expensive. I know that a stuck pcv valve can cause the engine to suck oil from the crankcase into the air intake piping, and ultimately into the combustion chamber. Boost pressure from a turbo only exacerbates the situation, since the fast moving pressurized air pushes the oil filled air into the combustion chamber. I hope that this helps.

Patrick

thanks for the note on the pcv valve, i haven't got a chance to get to it yet (don't feel like getting soaked with rain) but hopefully tonight when i do i'll be sure to check that thing.

as for the oil i think the problem was that im an idiot. i had a old rag wrapped around the MAF sensor as the air filter, i think that was sucking oil from the pcv vent inbetween the maf and turbo. probably not the whole problem but the reason for the mass amount of oil.

the problem i just found.... i never had this motor idling quite right, i assumed it was the combonation of old gas and maybe not so good sparkplugs. i found that i have a loose vaccume line also the spot that it should be connected. it looks like an important one, heres a pic

vacleak.jpg

side note i never notice i had different ones of these

intaketube.jpg

rag as an air filter? if i heard that right, i'd go ahead and work on a better solution to your air filter problem!

good eye on the vaccuum hose. that hose should be plugged into that solenoid. as you've probably already seen, it is supposed to connect to that solenoid. those solenoids break rather easily when the engine is being worked on. they're fine if they stand alone and are never touched. but start prying, pulling, hitting it while working on something else and the 20 year old plastic breaks easily. get another used one and swap it out. there's probably guys with dozens of these things lying around that will send you one for cheap - post in the parts wanted thread.

^^I'm assuming that bottom one is from a FWD EA82T?

yup

rag as an air filter? if i heard that right, i'd go ahead and work on a better solution to your air filter problem!

good eye on the vaccuum hose. that hose should be plugged into that solenoid. as you've probably already seen, it is supposed to connect to that solenoid. those solenoids break rather easily when the engine is being worked on. they're fine if they stand alone and are never touched. but start prying, pulling, hitting it while working on something else and the 20 year old plastic breaks easily. get another used one and swap it out. there's probably guys with dozens of these things lying around that will send you one for cheap - post in the parts wanted thread.

so are those solenoids expensive or something?