Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possibly....a new source of Inj for the EA82T

Turbone

My friend with the Mitsu Galant VR4 came home today and when he came to pick up his car (after I was done fixing his fubared stereo install) he decided to install his new injectors and Walbro fuel pump. Of course I volunteered to help :rolleyes:

We removed the fuel pump and fuel injectors and replaced the same with the new parts. Now, when I pulled the stock injectors out, I noticed that they were closely similiar to the EA injectors. I asked him if he knew what the flow was on them and he said he thought they were 420.

I set them aside and we finished the job. He left and I continued working on ny RX.

I finally tired of working on it and decided to check out the Mitsu injectors.

So, I know how everyone likes pics, so without further a'do...(and I apoligise for some of the clarity - cell phone pics)

Stock EA82T inj-

ea82tinjector1.jpg

Disassembled

ea82tinjector2.jpg

The Mitsu inj

ea82tinjector3.jpg

Side by side comparison

ea82tinjector4.jpg

The Mitsu with the collar and rubber grommet on

ea82tinjector5.jpg

With the plastic base on

ea82tinjector6.jpg

Sitting in the manifold

ea82tinjector7.jpg

As you can see, the spray pintle is shorter on the Mitsu inj and lacks reaching into the boss by 1/4in. The distance can be shortened by cutting down the plastic base by 5/16.

It would also be mandatory to have a RRFPR.

I think 420 would be more than adequate for our needs and alot easier to find these than the Nissan 280ZX injectors.

Thoughts?

looks like a close fit, but if you turn down the collar, don't you think the body of the injector will hit the manifold?

Also, WJM has mentioned in the past that DSM injectors will fit and are easy/cheap to find. My own little research seems to confirm this.

Well the engine that these injectors came out of is the same as the EVO engine, just with the head on backwards. I expect the injectors from each engine to be fairly similar because of that.

Is there enough room for the bolts with the modified injector housing, or will they bottom out? Just noticed that and wondered about it.

What about just cranking up the fuel pressure instead of new injectors? Old subies run a lower-than-standard pressure, and I'd be willing to bet they are rated for flow at that lower pressure. I beleive it is something like 38 PSI and the industry standard WAS 43-48 or something.

Well the engine that these injectors came out of is the same as the EVO engine, just with the head on backwards. I expect the injectors from each engine to be fairly similar because of that.

Is there enough room for the bolts with the modified injector housing, or will they bottom out? Just noticed that and wondered about it.

What about just cranking up the fuel pressure instead of new injectors? Old subies run a lower-than-standard pressure, and I'd be willing to bet they are rated for flow at that lower pressure. I beleive it is something like 38 PSI and the industry standard WAS 43-48 or something.

I thnk it was 32 and standard was 38-43 but I could be wrong. The problem with cranking up just the fuel pressure is the injectors will hit a max out and with the EA82T injectors, its like 185cc @ 36 psi of fuel so not much gain in cranking up the fuel pressure. I dropped 280ZX turbo injectors into my old RX with an adjustable FPR, cranked it up to 42psi and it was so different. Granted I was running 12 psi from a TD04 at 7200 feet above sea level at the time but even with my narrowband A/F gauge, I never went lean, just blew the motor due to high compression and boost:rolleyes:

I think you're right on the pressures. Even so, imagine what a freshly rebuilt and clean OEM injectors could do with the upped pressure and a 5th injector upstream. I'm hoping that won't be necessary after the bump in fuel pressure, but that would mean more money, and I already have the ARRFPR. :lol:

What are you guys running as far as fuel pumps to back these larger injectors?

I think you're right on the pressures. Even so, imagine what a freshly rebuilt and clean OEM injectors could do with the upped pressure and a 5th injector upstream. I'm hoping that won't be necessary after the bump in fuel pressure, but that would mean more money, and I already have the ARRFPR. :lol:

What are you guys running as far as fuel pumps to back these larger injectors?

walbro makes alot of inline fuel pumps like the one i bought for my ej20T. fit right in stock location. it was sweet. but like said above they only cost like 120 bux, some less.