Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I adjust the front height on my 84 Brat?

I would like to raise the front of my 84 Brat up. Can I adjust the front torsion bars at all to even out the stance? If I can what do I have to do to adjust them? Thanks.

Richard

Yes you can. My 84 brat has the adjusters just below the lower spring perch. There is a plate below the spring with two bolts going through it. You need a 21mm wrench and you twist the nuts on the bolts counter clockwise to put more preload on the spring and raise the stance of the vehicle IIFR. Good luck and bust out the deep creep for this one.

Daniel

When you do the adjustments, you'd do yourself a favor by lifting the wheels off the ground first.

Also, thoroughly clean the threads with pentrating lube before you even start. This will save you some time turning a nut 1/4 turn at a time over gritty crap. ;)

Also, thoroughly clean the threads with pentrating lube before you even start. This will save you some time turning a nut 1/4 turn at a time over gritty crap. ;)

Good luck and bust out the deep creep for this one.

I think that's what he said.

It screws up the camber quite a bit and isn't recommended for tire life if you are running on pavement most of the time.

It's also only good for about 1" to 1.5" of additional height. The wheels look funny at the camber it puts them at.

Better to make some small 1" lift blocks for the x-member to avoid the camber problems. Then you can crank them up and have them straight.

GD

Will I need to make the blocks just for the front cross member only or do I need to make one for the trans cross member too?

Richard

It screws up the camber quite a bit and isn't recommended for tire life if you are running on pavement most of the time.

It's also only good for about 1" to 1.5" of additional height. The wheels look funny at the camber it puts them at.

Better to make some small 1" lift blocks for the x-member to avoid the camber problems. Then you can crank them up and have them straight.

GD

Will I need to make the blocks just for the front cross member only or do I need to make one for the trans cross member too?

Richard

Engine x-member only - 1" isn't enough to need to drop the leading rod plates (where the trans bolts to) but you can if you like. The PK-Davis lifts have the leading rod lift blocks 1" shorter than the engine x-member blocks - the difference is not an issue in practice. You will need longer bolts to bolt the x-member to the frame rails if you only do 1" though. If you go larger than 1" and use channel you can slip the nuts through the sides and reuse the stock bolts.

GD

I would like to raise the front of my 84 Brat up. Can I adjust the front torsion bars at all to even out the stance? If I can what do I have to do to adjust them? Or can I just adjust the struts themselves? Thanks.

Richard

Some of the EA81 struts had height adjusters (not a torsion bar).