Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Daughter Just bought A WRX!

I just bought a new Subaru last night...

Its safe, and AWD. She will have fun in the snow and the rain, its meant for rough terrain, although she prob. wont take it out and do all that, but its safety is set up to protect you. Good luck, and dont worry, she do just fine!

I try not to talk complete, and utter crap about a car company. Especially one that has been around far longer than any of us here.

Chances are that in that time, they have made at least a few good vehicles. ;)

The list could get pretty long for them, and I'm not even a big Ford fan.:burnout:

The list starts..

twin traction beam front suspension - junk (lets design a front end that kills brand new tires in 4 months)

triton engines - junk (pull the entire intake just to get the engine out, not to mention 24 hrs of labor to R&R and engine)

Ford Rangers - money pits

Ford water pumps on the older 302 and 351 fuel injection - junk (entire front of engine has to come apart just to get the water pump off)

early V-6 2.9L - junk (if you've ever changed an intake manifold on one you understand)

1996+ ford taurus radiator (had to be dropped out the bottom of the car)

pre 1996 taurus engine/tranny (have to pull the entire H frame just to get the transmission out)

I can continue all day if u like. Like I said, I've made lots of money fixing them, and they are JUNK

Bout the only decent ford product made is the 300 6 cylinder.. bulletproof engine

I had two rather exciting accidents last year.

Both were of no fault of my own.

You never know when some stupid free loading yuppie is going to make their own self centered maneuver. or when the hairy roid case next to you is going to want to drive aggressively or when granny is just plain gonna zone out.

Two major accidents and zero alignments. These cars are the volvos o the east. They are also like snow tanks in the winter.

The list starts..

I had to do a clutch in a V6 Contour not long ago.

:eek:

OMG what a nightmare. Had to drain the power steering fluid, remove the entire front suspension/engine cross-member/power steering rack assembly before I could even get to the transmission.

Transverse is one thing, but that car is just plain wrong. Idiots designed it.

GD

I try not to talk complete, and utter crap about a car company. Especially one that has been around far longer than any of us here.

Chances are that in that time, they have made at least a few good vehicles. ;)

The list could get pretty long for them, and I'm not even a big Ford fan.:burnout:

The list is quite long, actually. Ford mad quite a few really good cars. . . mostly before 1966. . . Then they "had a better idea". . .

The complaints listed above are among the reasons that I do not work on American cars, if I can help it (and if they really want me to work on it, they will pay a premium for that. The stress is just too high, and I always have to buy special tools to do the work). But I agree, bashing Ford is not the way to impress someone regarding the true value of Subarus. That is why I mentioned that the maint. costs for a Subaru are generally very low, and the average life expectancy of that same Subaru is very high. That is true value. Now if you add to that the excelent safety history of these cars, it just makes sense that he can sleep better at night knowing that his daughter is in a car he can trust to protect her, and serve her well for quite some time.

I did not mean to start a Ford vs Subaru debate, although it is always kinda fun.:horse:

I will say I have nothing but respect for Japanese cars, I don't know why I keep getting Fords other then the 0% financing and they do make a good cargo van.

Anyway, Looks like the 07 WRX that Baby just bought, has a Cobb cat back tuned exhaust with this ECU programing diagnostic thingy. I looked it up and this combo sounds like it has turned Her car into an poor mans STI, and She might be rolling with 260+ HP.

Should I advise her to remove the damn thing and sell it, will it void the factory warranty and shorten the life of the vehicle? Can She still use regular gas?

She likes the exhaust and so do I, so She wants to keep it. Does the ECU thing come in handy?

One more thing about Fords and then I will never bring it up again.

Me and the Wife have bought a few Fords and the local Ford dealership was going to sell My girl a brand new 08 Focus' with most power options for $10,000 and 0% financing and Baby said no, She didn't like it, and next day came home with 07 WRX for 18,000 and 4.45%.

Doesn't speak well for Ford.

Should I advise her to remove the damn thing and sell it, will it void the factory warranty and shorten the life of the vehicle? Can She still use regular gas?

She likes the exhaust and so do I, so She wants to keep it. Does the ECU thing come in handy?

If the warrantee was going to be voided it already has been.

As for shortening the life of the vehicle - it shouldn't hurt it. The EJ20 has the overhead to handle 260 without problem.

I would not remove either of those modifications. The Exhaust is innocous and the ECU tuning is ok provided you run premium.....

But, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should she ever run regular gas. Subaru turbo's run 92 or higher. Subaru claims extended use of lower octane fuel can cause engine damage. It will definately affect the performance as the ECU will knock the timing back to compensate. Forced induction is one of those circumstances where octane matters a lot. The WRX is not a gas-saver and I respectfully say that if the price matters that much she should look for something that is.

GD

the exhaust is nothing to worry about. it sounds like it's just an axleback (muffler section) exhaust. very common thing to do. just lets the rumble out.

:D

the ecu thing though... what exactly is it? some are bad, some are not. if the original owner bought cobb exhaust in the first place i'm going to guess it's the access port two (AP2)...

it should say on it. this, if loaded with the correct maps for the engine, can do wonders and still maintain warranty as you can just load the stock map for the engine and unplug it. nobody would know the difference (including a dealership)...

post up a pic or what it is called to confirm this.

the local Ford dealership was going to sell My girl a brand new 08 Focus' with most power options for $10,000 and 0% financing.

Most power options except for THE power option that matters.... the one under the hood. Ugly car with 140 HP on a 2500 lb frame..... yeah your girl has excelent taste in avoiding that thing. For $8k she got AWD, and an extra 120 HP. The WRX has no competion in the Ford world I'm afraid. They tried to enter the tuner market with the Focus - the result was that Steve Saleen threw in the towel when Ford forced him to do something with the Focus. After looking it over he threw his hands up and put a NOS bottle on the thing. He delivered them to Ford who threatened to fire him if he didn't take the bottle off (can you imagine selling a factory NOS equipped Focus?). He quit instead.

They did sell the 200 he made - with the provision that if you broke the seal on the bottle the warantee was instantly void :rolleyes:

GD

The complaints listed above are among the reasons that I do not work on American cars, if I can help it (and if they really want me to work on it, they will pay a premium for that. The stress is just too high, and I always have to buy special tools to do the work). But I agree, bashing Ford is not the way to impress someone regarding the true value of Subarus.

It's funny you should mention that. I ran into the same exact problem when I very first started working on Subarus. The same problems could be mentioned for any car company in the world, especially when a person isn't used to working on them. I still remember my senior mechanic explaining to me the installation procedure for the roll pin on Subaru axles :banghead: . I enjoy working on Subarus now, but still have to admit that a 2 degee off centered roll-pin is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever encountered.

Like I said; the list of ANY car companys mistakes could be vast, and would get larger the longer they've been in business.

Luckily for your daughter Gunnails; the 07 WRX isn't on Subaru's list.

My friend had a black 07 STI :slobber:

The 07 front end is one of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen. The whole car came together quite well that year.

And the thing was a DREAM to drive. It is honestly one of "those cars" that deserves to be put on a pedestal. I can only imagine that the WRX is just as well built of a car.

and the ECU tuning is ok provided you run premium.....

But, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should she ever run regular gas. Subaru turbo's run 92 or higher. Subaru claims extended use of lower octane fuel can cause engine damage. It will definately affect the performance as the ECU will knock the timing back to compensate. Forced induction is one of those circumstances where octane matters a lot.

GD

==============================================

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to let her know. Hopefully she already knows this.:)

post up a pic or what it is called to confirm this.

Edit: I don't have the unit or model # handy.

============================================

It looks like the one listed here on the Cobb web site

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3264

Edit: I don't have the unit or model #

The exhaust seems to be 3" stainless from the engine back, looks like this one from the Cobb web site.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2308

Most power options except for THE power option that matters.... the one under the hood. Ugly car with 140 HP on a 2500 lb frame..... yeah your girl has excelent taste in avoiding that thing. For $8k she got AWD, and an extra 120 HP. The WRX has no competion in the Ford world I'm afraid. They tried to enter the tuner market with the Focus - the result was that Steve Saleen threw in the towel when Ford forced him to do something with the Focus. After looking it over he threw his hands up and put a NOS bottle on the thing. He delivered them to Ford who threatened to fire him if he didn't take the bottle off (can you imagine selling a factory NOS equipped Focus?). He quit instead.

They did sell the 200 he made - with the provision that if you broke the seal on the bottle the warantee was instantly void :rolleyes:

GD

====================================================

Still a new car for $10,000 and 0%, I mean I get it why she didn't want it, I wouldn,t want one, lol.

Still there is some good value there at that price, and the price makes them look much nicer.

Still there is some good value there at that price, and the price makes them look much nicer.

I would question the quality of something made (ostensibly) in the US and sold for that price. The last Focus I worked on (2002) was a horrible, plastic, toy of a car.

I see how it could be attractive to a lot of car buyers though - the american public doesn't seem to understand that you get what your pay for - thus the popularity of wal-mart.

GD

Edit: I don't have the unit or model # handy.

============================================

It looks like the one listed here on the Cobb web site

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3264

Edit: I don't have the unit or model #

The exhaust seems to be 3" stainless from the engine back, looks like this one from the Cobb web site.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2308

that is from the turbo back... or is there a header/uppipe in there as well? it doesn't really matter. those parts she has on her car work well with each other and most likely the AP is loaded with the correct map for the mods done to the car.

i would recommend she (or you) learn how to use the AP if you have to take the car in for emissions or something. it also has some neat features on it. the unit can display vital engine info and also pull codes if the CEL ever comes on. You can also plug it into a computer to upload/download different engine maps. there is also a cool valet mode which won't let the car go over 3k RPM for those sketchy carwashes or something.

also probably a good call to have a look at the rest of the car and see if anything else is aftermarket.

The list starts..

twin traction beam front suspension - junk (lets design a front end that kills brand new tires in 4 months)

triton engines - junk (pull the entire intake just to get the engine out, not to mention 24 hrs of labor to R&R and engine)

Ford Rangers - money pits

Ford water pumps on the older 302 and 351 fuel injection - junk (entire front of engine has to come apart just to get the water pump off)

early V-6 2.9L - junk (if you've ever changed an intake manifold on one you understand)

1996+ ford taurus radiator (had to be dropped out the bottom of the car)

pre 1996 taurus engine/tranny (have to pull the entire H frame just to get the transmission out)

I can continue all day if u like. Like I said, I've made lots of money fixing them, and they are JUNK

Bout the only decent ford product made is the 300 6 cylinder.. bulletproof engine

All these and more are why I'd reather eat worms than work on a Ford.

another bit of advice, dont do a hard launch in the car. get it rolling before you putyour foot down. the 5 spd trans in the car is great, but can flex under a hard load like a launch.

i wouls also highly reccomend that you use synthetic oil in it and only NGK spark plugs. i suggest the NGK Iridium plugs, i use them in my impreza, brat, and rx.

other than that, i would say to just enjoy the ride and have as much fun with it as you can.:headbang:

another bit of advice, dont do a hard launch in the car. get it rolling before you putyour foot down. the 5 spd trans in the car is great, but can flex under a hard load like a launch.

+1

i got a friend that works at a soob dealership and he told me about how he had a young kid come in with his WRX after he snapped a front axle(while trying to do a high rpm launch..)this same kid was back a month later with blown clutch..some people shouldn't be allowed to own a car.

:rolleyes:

This terrifies me and may confirm all my fears. I hope you're wrong. I think I might cry...

CB

Beleive me - they are not even close to the level of overcomplicated german engineering that VW/Porsche/Audi can lay claim to. I have worked on plenty of the VW/Audi stuff and I don't like them one little bit. Besides being stupid fast, the overbuilt Audi's suffer from far worse MFS than my 91 Legacy SS does. And the SS isn't without it's moments :-\.

GD

Beleive me - they are not even close to the level of overcomplicated german engineering that VW/Porsche/Audi can lay claim to. I have worked on plenty of the VW/Audi stuff and I don't like them one little bit. Besides being stupid fast, the overbuilt Audi's suffer from far worse MFS than my 91 Legacy SS does. And the SS isn't without it's moments :-\.

GD

That's for sure GD! The only thing soobs and VW / audi... have in common is they are not American cars.