Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tiny Square on Rear Bumper

Does anyone know what that tiny square is on the rear bumper on the left side? Is it for towing bc it's AWD?

That was where the tie down was during shipment from Japan. The hook is in your trunk where the spare tire is. I believe it is mentioned in the owners manual.

hook in the trunk? the only one I can think of is the one that hold up the spare tire cover that hooks on the top of the rear door sill...

I thought they used the hooks under the bumper to secure them during shipment...

although I don't know what's behind the small square hole... is it threads for a hook?

--Spiffy

NO you are all wrong...the 08 Impreza is 100% Japan made..this is an offset square on the rear bumper..to the drivers side...a hook was threaded into the hole behind it..they then place the hook upon remove in the molded form in the back of the car with the spare tire and equipment. I have owned mine for nearly a year and have over 20K on it so I think I may know something about them...If I have to I will pull out my window sticker to prove where they are made at.

aa003.jpg

aa004.jpg

i really like the engineered storage inside the spare. do you think that tray would fit in my outback???

You know..it probably would..it just sits inside of the spare. I am very fond of it also.... I keep my Imp Immaculate cant its nice not having that stuff bouncing around and rattling.

It's not a hole, just a tiny 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch square. Its offset to the left side. I thought maybe you punch it through for a bike rack or soemthing. Thanks for everyone's ideas. I will try to get a pic for you later this evening when I get home (I cant go out of work to take a pic) :rolleyes:

i think i'm gonna go with bucky on this one. i don't think her photo shop skills are good enough to fake that picture.

ditto... I've also never actually seen what's behind the little square... I always thought it was some kind of adjustment, or a way to lower the spare from under the car (like with toyota trucks)... weird that they let you keep the little eyelet tie-down...

too bad they're not making them in indiana... america is pricing itself out of nearly every market...

--Spiffy

its a tow hook:confused: Most newer cars with low profile rear bumpers have them.... Flat bed needs something to grab onto to pull it on

Tom

God, I wish they had those on the front of the SVX. I've trailered 2 home and it was a beotch getting them tied down.

• 2 weeks later...