Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a impreza wagon

Hey I am in the midst of a vicious search for a impreza wagon. Any that I come across are either too expensive or are sold the same day they get on the lot. I have a 96 lx sedan with 220000 on it and still runs strong. Only reason I need a wagon is for work and commuting up to 800+ miles a month seeing my son. I have seen a couple with 170000 miles on them, which is the same mileage on my car when i got it. So I have alot of faith in higher mileage subies but am just trying to be cautious with the winter coming. I had posted a couple of quick questions on here and had gotten a great response . Kinda hoping for that again.

And for specifics

96-01 5 speed

Not alot of rust please

Price range tops about 2700 but not trying to go that high

Lower miles if possible and even problems for a good price.

Depending on the problem

If you happen to have pictures let please let me know.

I may be willing to do full or partial trade

If you are still reading this thank you and please let me know what you got.

Thanks Again

Greg

Good luck. There's one out there for you; it'll just take time to find it. I got ours four years ago and it took 5 months of ACTIVE searching. I'm sure you've tried craigslist. You might try autotrader if you haven't already. The good news is that the price and availability have improved a lot since four years ago. Good luck.

I just rechecked your post for a location. If it's practical, you might search on the west coast. Once you find it, fly out and drive it home. I'm sure we have more rust free Imprezas out here than in Pittsburgh.

Edited by edrach

Been there tried that. I have been searching for about 3 months now and yeah no luck. I have checked the west coast and was going to fly out and drive back but any that I find are gone when I get in touch with any one. Autotrader is just too expensive. I've seen imprezas 220000+ miles and they still want 5-6 grand for them. Which is crazy, and they are hell bent on those prices. My impreza now was a fluke getting it. I needed a cheap car and stopped at a used car lot and there it was. Drove it once and fell in love with it. So I am hoping that something like that happens before the snow starts coming. But hey thanks for the reply.

PM me. I'm about 35 miles out of Pittsburgh.

I have 7 Suby's right now in various states of repair. Nothing newer than a 99.

Mostly Legacy's, sedans, Outbacks, GT sedan, an Impreza 1.8 SW, and a couple of Foresters.

Prices probably from 1,500 to 5k.

None currently advertised for sale. When ready typically they don't last long.

Dave

PGH Scoob.

First a Legacy or OB gets about the same fuel mileage and

are far more comfortable.

I will vouch for Davebugs. I live close to him and have seen many of the

cars he sells. HE IS ANAL!!

"Come on Dave - the buyer is not going to mind two types of lug nuts!!"

He will not sell you a car until it is driven and proved worthy.

Trust him, he'll set you up.

Gary will treat you right also, he has been around Subies for a long time

and is a very trusted member here.

I don't want to rub your nose in it, but this just showed up on CL locally (to me). Paint job is weird and price is funny (I suspect with an airbag deployment it has a salvage title).

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/926302360.html

Dont give up on Autotrader; I know most of the ads are overpriced or high miles, but I got ours there after many months of looking. 120K miles and at the time $3950 was a steal; and to boot, it was at a small roadside dealership 4 miles from our house. It has 155K on it now and is my DD as well as rallycross car.

Sounds like you might have a deal with Dave. We bought our Forester with a similar arrangement with a USMB member. Good luck in your search.

By the way the EJ18 is a killer engine along with getting some of the best gas mileage for an early Impreza.

You might also want to consider looking farther south as well. I live in KY, and used Subarus (the ones close to a decade old) don't seem to bring as much as they do in Subaru hotspots elsewhere in the country, as to most non-Sube people down here it's just any other Japanese car. Are you dead set against an A/T? At highway driving, is there that much difference in mileage? Also, check over at rs25.com, as those guys are all about Imprezas, especially the older ones. People post stuff for sale there all the time. But, yeah, as people have mentioned, gas is cheap now, so going some distance to drive one home is a good option.

Someone also mentioned that the Impreza doesn't get that different of gas mileage from a Legacy. I'll have to say that has been my experience. I drove a Legacy wagon for 5 years. This past spring I bought two wrecked Impreza Outbacks (99 and 00) for $2400, used the parts off the 00 to fix the 99 (with 73k on it). But, anyway, I was planning on just selling the car (and leftover parts) when finished because I assumed it was too small for me (6'3" and two kids). And, yeah, it's mpg is almost the same as my high mileage Legacy. But, dude, the little Impreza is SO FREAKIN FUN TO DRIVE! Seriously, you might not notice any real difference in gas mileage, but man will you feel like you almost bought a sports car in the little Impreza. (Biggest space loss you notice is hatch space.) I had to keep it. Too much fun, and I'm hoping this phase II EJ22 will last like my phase I 2.2 engine. I love the EJ22.

Here's a travel-to car in Ohio:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=254790353&dealer_id=619368&car_year=1997&rdm=1227242439555&model=IMPREZ&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1991&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=128&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=500&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=42101&advanced=&end_year=2001&doors=&transmission=&max_price=3500&cardist=380

This may end up going for a crazy price, but may be worth watching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1993-Subaru-Impreza-Wagon-MPG-Runs-Perfect-Low-Reserve_W0QQitemZ300274792284QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item300274792284&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Yeah I had originally started with a 98 wagon standard with 114k on it when i got it. I loved that car and the gas milage was amazing. I was a delivery driver and would average 27-28 mpg. Unfortunately that car was rolled over trying to avoid a deer in the road. Gotta say getting out of a car upside down is a little nerve racking. But yeah now with my automatic I will luck is I get 23-24 mpg. I am not too into the legacys due to the fact that the imprezas are soo much fun to drive. Even though it is a little car with not alot of power, they made them such a nice driving car. Before getting my subaru, I had a 98 acura 2.3cl which I absolutely hated. I got it because of insurance money from a face off with a 85 f250 head on in my 96 celica. It was the other drivers fault and my insurance showed some love. So yeah had the acura and the handling was terrible, maitnance was outrageous and ever single part was at least 300+ dollars. With my subaru it is the complete opposite, I love driving them and will never get another car besides a subaru.