Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carbed vs EFI

Ken_B

Ive been having a real dilemma in my search for a Subaru GL/DL/Loyale wagon. Im going to be taking it to Laramie Wyoming, Elevation 7,200 Feet, known to reach temperatures of Minus 30 Degress Farenheit. What I want to know is do I really need EFI? Or would a carbed one work just fine, if so would it be wise to put a Weber with an electronic choke on it? So can any of you high elevation/cold temperature guys chime in?

Thanks

Ken

If you're getting a "newer" one, with the EA82 engine, the electronic choke for a weber won't fit. The power steering pump is too close, so the choke has to be removed. You can rig up a manual choke, though. Works just fine on my car, but it hasn't seen freezing temps yet. I've also heard that those carbs can ice up easily, so SPFI with added elevation thingy may be the way to go. Search for carbs or SPFI under username General Disorder for best info. :headbang:

Ok thanks, and just to clarify. Im not necessarily looking for a "newer" one, but I am leaning towards EFI. But who knows if the right EA82, EA81, etc... came along. Just tryin to figure out whats gonna work best and maybe broaden or restrict my seach.

Carbs are a pain. They dont have the ability to adjust the way a computer controlled F.I. system does. A quick start on a really cold morning takes more than just a choke. You will find much much better drivability and reliability with F.I... there is a reason they quit using carbs. The only thing an older carbed setup offers is they can be a bit easier to diagnose fuel & ignition related problems (at the cost of having more of them). The only reasons to choose the EA81 over a newer unit is the classic effect, price and they are a little easier to work on. If you do choose a carbed model and dont have to worry about smog, then get rid of the factory carb. The system is a little complex and though every component has its purpose many of them on a 25 year old car will not function as they should and all the vaccume mess is not doing you or the environment any favors.

-Sam

If you're getting a "newer" one, with the EA82 engine, the electronic choke for a weber won't fit. The power steering pump is too close, so the choke has to be removed.

That is not at all true. You can either turn the carb around backwards (the adapter plate is symmetrical), or you can use the Hitachi plastic spacer under the weber adapter and make a dent in the side of the PS reservoir with a ball-peen hammer (it's just a fluid reservoir, it doesn't hurt a thing). Of the two I prefer peening the reservoir as it's cleaner.

GD

Carbs are a pain. They dont have the ability to adjust the way a computer controlled F.I. system does. A quick start on a really cold morning takes more than just a choke. You will find much much better drivability and reliability with F.I... there is a reason they quit using carbs. The only thing an older carbed setup offers is they can be a bit easier to diagnose fuel & ignition related problems (at the cost of having more of them).

While I agree in principle with what you are trying to say, carbs can and will do what he wants. A brand new Weber is both simpler to install and easier for a non-technical person to troubleshoot.

The only reasons to choose the EA81 over a newer unit is the classic effect, price and they are a little easier to work on.

That is completely wrong. The EA81 is an excellent design - much better than the EA82. Plus the EA81 can be retro-fit with the SPFI system making it even better. The EA81 is lighter, and the Hatch body is the unchallenged champion of the Subaru off-road world.

Have a read through my SPFI conversion site:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI.html

If you want to argue with me - go ahead - but take a look at my post count before you do.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

While I agree in principle with what you are trying to say, carbs can and will do what he wants. A brand new Weber is both simpler to install and easier for a non-technical person to troubleshoot.

If you want to argue with me - go ahead - but take a look at my post count before you do.

GD

Ok, so with your EMENSE amount of Subaru knowledge heres my question. My Carbed EA82 does not have power steering and has 126,371 miles on the original engine/carb. Would you recomend a new Weber swap with electronic choke for tempuratures and elevations like that?

Ok, so with your EMENSE amount of Subaru knowledge heres my question. My Carbed EA82 does not have power steering and has 126,371 miles on the original engine/carb. Would you recomend a new Weber swap with electronic choke for tempuratures and elevations like that?

How does it run right now? If you're getting good fuel economy and it handles the cold well, there's little reason to touch it unless you're looking for performance gains. The stock Hitachi carb runs really well even in super cold temps when they're working right. I had very poor luck with a Weber in the cold temps combined with relatively high humidity we get here, and eventually went to an SPFI swap to get the drivability I wanted.

If performance isn't a big issue and it's working well now, I wouldn't mess with it. Save your money and buy a legacy in a few years.

Oh please GD, don't pull the "Look at ma post count" b.s.

I say if you're just going to drive the vehicle to and fro' the store a few times a week, just get whatever. Carb, SPFI, etc, should all work fine. Performance isn't going to be an issue.

Plus, if your car won't start, just bum a ride from Jeffast (he's up in Laramie now at wyotech).

Plus, if your car won't start, just bum a ride from Jeffast (he's up in Laramie now at wyotech).
how nice of you to help jeff out, the way he's always needing help pushing his car after a blown hole in the block, burnt clutch, lost second, grenaded trans....etc..... he'll appreciate you looking out for him!

my post count is longer than yours GD!

eleven thousand ten

nine thousand two hundred fifty six

If it runs fine now then leave it the way it is. There is no such thing as an "electronic" choke. It's an electric choke, and eventually the one on your Hitachi will die (the hook on the end of the bi-metal spring wears through and breaks off). If you are concerned about then put a Weber on it - for cold temps you will have to properly connect the hot air riser to prevent carb iceing but the Weber's work fine in the cold when properly jetted and tuned.

As for the post count thing - I just don't want to argue with the newcomers. It's not worth my time.

GD