Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle not fitting correctly

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, it's the same axle. this means you are doing something a little wrong.

i think my approach would be to loosen the axle nut, slide the splined end out of the hub enough to get it attached on the trans end. then put the outer end completely back together except the axle nut. at some point the correct conditions should occur so you can start the nut on the threads.

of course this is just an idea that i haven't tried. but if the axle has any chance of fitting correctly, it should be with everthing bolted together as it should be.

either this or you just need to force it.

Please John, he needs a stub axle shaft. It's still gone.

if he takes a pic of the stub in the trans will you believe that it is there and you are the only who can not see it.

it is not in the axle he took off and i don't think he over looked it when he was cleaning up his tools, especially considering how much you have talked about it. if it is not there, where did it go? it was there when he drove into the garage and took the axle off. so unless the mice ate it, or it rolled across the floor and under the work bench after he removed the axle, it is there. and i can see it in the picture.

BUT, since i'm not there i could be wrong, but i'm not the only one.

Yes I have talked about it a lot, but I have not got through to anyone yet. The stub axle is Gone. Where I dont know. Simpreza2 did you look around where you took this out for it? Also look around where you laid the old axle. If it is not there then you have a dog that has carried it off.

So you are saying I'm missing part #14 (axle drive shaft) and that the retaining clip broke and is in the front diff. case?

frontdiff.jpg

I'm done for today, I have class in a few and a final tomorrow. I will get back to working on it Thursday and let you know how it goes.

I'm sorry Tcspeer, but in my experience on a 5MT the stubs cannot fall or even pull out. Having tried using every mechanical advantage to do so when I buggered a spring pin changing an axle, I asked on either this or another forum whether it was even possible to do and I was told no.

It is possible, easy even, to pull stubs out of the 4EAT, which I'm assuming you're more familliar with.

Simpreza, if you compress the boot alot trying to fit the axle in, some air will be forced out. When its all together the boot will look caved in on itself at the proper length.

So you are saying I'm missing part #14 (axle drive shaft) and that the retaining clip broke and is in the front diff. case?

I'm done for today, I have class in a few and a final tomorrow. I will get back to working on it Thursday and let you know how it goes.

a simple glance at the axle attachment point on the trans will tell you if it is there or not. if you have a splined shaft sticking out of the trans case, you have the #14 stub shaft.

Simpreza, if you compress the boot alot trying to fit the axle in, some air will be forced out. When its all together the boot will look caved in on itself at the proper length.

I know its supposed to look like an accordion (sp?) and when it moves, as in turning the wheel and during suspension travel the boot expands and contracts back. Its just that when I pull the joint to get the pin in, its fully extended at that point, to where there is no accordion action taking place when I turn the wheel or put weight on the strut. I'm sorry, I'm kind of bad at describing stuff. I have ADD, my mind is 10 steps a head of what I can type. :banana::banana::banana:

Yes!!! 14 is gone, you are seeing part 12 in your photo #14 slids into it. Then the other end of the axle slides onto #14

I have #14. It might be hard to see in the pics, its kind of hard to take pics under a car when you don't have a lift, but the differential stub is there.

a simple glance at the axle attachment point on the trans will tell you if it is there or not. if you have a splined shaft sticking out of the trans case, you have the #14 stub shaft.

Yeah, I know. Its kind of confusing with everyone using their own terminology to describe the same or similar parts. I think thats what got some people misunderstood and arguing.

The only thing I can think of now, would be that a suspension piece is bent or the body(aka mounting point of control arm) got messed up, but it's all ok. Im baffled, but its probably b/c my brain is fried form so much studying. Watch me get it in on Thurs. b/c I was doing something stupid.

The stub axle is about four or five in. long it is spined all of the way around it goes in the hole of the diff. you can see this in pic. the other end goes in the end of the drive axle and is held in place by the pin you have marked. It is gone! Simpreza2 needs to go find it so he can get his car back together.

I think the one you have circled is a rust spot, if you look close you can see it looks more like a star then a round hole for the pin. Where are the spines on the end of the drive axle? Are you going to slide that into the other hole and drive a pin through it and expect it to hold?

Dude you're monitor needs adjusted or you are blind. The frigin stub and is RIGHT THERE! Unless you are telling us that you've actually been to see his vehichle physically and it is different than the photo. I don't think that's the case.

I see the male end sticking out of the tranny in the picture! And the female end (cv shaft) Just needs to slide onto it. And for whatever reason its not reaching. And yes the little hole circled is not a rust spot it's the hole for the pin to go through after the cv axle is in its correct position.

Ok im going to stick my nose in here. i want some pics.

i would like to see a pic of the engine under the hood with the hood open. A side shot of the right side (or whatever side that is the problem) with the tire off. I would like to see pics of the underside of the contol arm and hub at full left and right lock.

Is there any frame rot on this car?

I had an 88 GL that would pull axles apart. It tracked correctly, it would hold an alignment, but the subframe was rotted out that it would pull cv joints apart.

nipper

i would like to see a pic of the engine under the hood with the hood open. A side shot of the right side (or whatever side that is the problem) with the tire off. I would like to see pics of the underside of the contol arm and hub at full left and right lock.

Is there any frame rot on this car?

nipper

I will get the pics you want sometime tomorrow morning. I'll get my work lights out and my good camera, so hopefully I can some some decent photos.

And there is a small amount of rot on the R. side just below the front door sill, I will take a pic of it. It does not look bad enough to mess with any frame or suspension geometry.

I can't believe this is almost 6 pages long. I guess I should have taken better pics in the 1st place. Now I know. :o