Ultimate Subaru Message Board

considering a `78 wagon

hey all,

I'm looking into picking up a `78 wagon that is for sale locally. I havn't looked the car over personally, but do plan on doing so.

I'm wondering if you folks could inform me more on this model.

How close is this vehicle to my ea82 cars?

What series is this vehicle, ea81 or somthing different

I'm a hardcore loyal guy, and they're all i know.

What are common rust area's i should look at on this model? and what are the draw backs compared to my ea82?

the 78 is an ea71 1600cc car with a single range 4x or front drive only, (my 79 was a front drive auto). they usualy rust out at the top edge of the front fenders, bottom of front fenders near the doors, at the base of the doors, the rocker panels, some of the frame points underneath, the rear roll pan, the fronts of the floor pans were your feet would go. this is all mostly worst case stuff, my 79 had no rust on it when i bought it for 300. just check it over just like a loyal and you will be fine. motors leak in the same spots and trans leaks in the same sposta as the loyals. if you desire later it is posible to do a direct bolt in of the ea81/81t with the 4or 5spd d/r depending on if you can find the shifters from a 81 brat. good luck.

Compared to the loyale series, the EA71 stuff is way more "old school". If you're used to SPFI and turbo loyales, there's a lot of stuff that's different as far as engine controls, but if you've worked on carbed EA82s, it's pretty much the same idea. Really though, conceptually, there aren't that many major differences, and they experience most of the same issues, so you should feel right at home. Those engines also seem to take to abuse a little better than the EA82, which is nice.

IF it has automatic, it has EA81

IF it has EA81, it has automatic

it is either late gen 1 or early gen 2

designating vehicle by engine type is a bad idea, considering an XT aclyone sp?? had EA71 stock in some countries :grin:

drawbacks are few, mostly just old parts hard to find

the wheels will fit

IF it has automatic, it has EA81

IF it has EA81, it has automatic

designating vehicle by engine type is a bad idea, considering an XT aclyone sp?? had EA71 stock in some countries :grin:

I didnt Know the xt had came with an EA71. a guy i new was going to fit an 1600 into his vortex since the ea82 turbo motor was removed. i dont think he ever got it to work tho.