Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Deleting engine driven radiator fan

Here's the deal: it's damn cold here in Fairbanks, we haven't seen temps above freezing since early October, and it's constantly dropping below 0, January and February get to -40 and lower here. Overheating is not an issue here!

When I cold start my 91 Loyale the engine driven fan is throwing air all over the place even though the clutch is working fine. My engine takes a looooong time to warm up, and I think the fan is the culprit. The thermostat is working fine too (did the boiling water method). I am seriously considering just removing the fan from the water pump. Should I encounter any issues running the engine without the fan there?

Later on, when temps raise up above freezing I will need the fan back on. Instead of the clutch fan can I upgrade it to a second electric fan? Anyone done this before and has a write up somewhere? A kit to buy perhaps?

engine driven fan ONLY came on AC equipped ea82

I would leave it off until you have issues with it running warm that the electric cooling fan can't handle, which I have rarely discovered, such as high rpm, high load, low speed long duration :burnout: making donuts in snow :lol: after a while I got dizzy and had to quit :-\

I found a front mount small fan I think was from a KIA, fits behind grill when air conditioner condenser is removed, can send pic if you like

I found another thread about installing an EA81 fan... I saw an EA81 Loyale wagon parts car for sale for $150 nearby... might get it, if the missus won't mind having a non drivable car in the driveway...!! :rolleyes:

What KIA is that fan off of? And can you send me that pic?

Edited by rpiereck

engine driven fan ONLY came on AC equipped ea82

I would leave it off until you have issues with it running warm that the electric cooling fan can't handle, which I have rarely discovered, such as high rpm, high load, low speed long duration :burnout: making donuts in snow :lol: after a while I got dizzy and had to quit :-\

agreed, 100%. I always just ditched the clutch fan on EA82s. the temp switch on the radiator for the electric fan is set rather high. higher than I like. so I always wired a manual switch for it. never had overheating problems as long as I remembered to turn it on :rolleyes:

agreed, 100%. I always just ditched the clutch fan on EA82s. the temp switch on the radiator for the electric fan is set rather high. higher than I like. so I always wired a manual switch for it. never had overheating problems as long as I remembered to turn it on :rolleyes:

You could wire it to a thermo switch, you can buy those are most auto stores.

The ea81 rad fan is a bit taller than the ea82 rad. You would have to drill new mounting holes in the fan to match the holes in the rad to bolt it up, but that's it. I think the bottom ones line up, just the top need to be modified. Get an adjustable fan control from Ebay or your local parts store and set it just above the temp of the thermostat your using.

But, up where you are, you could probably get away with the one that's there now, just use the adjustable fan control. You'll be fine removing the engine driven fan untill spring for sure.

Here's the deal: it's damn cold here in Fairbanks, we haven't seen temps above freezing since early October, and it's constantly dropping below 0, January and February get to -40 and lower here. Overheating is not an issue here!

When I cold start my 91 Loyale the engine driven fan is throwing air all over the place even though the clutch is working fine. My engine takes a looooong time to warm up, and I think the fan is the culprit. The thermostat is working fine too (did the boiling water method). I am seriously considering just removing the fan from the water pump. Should I encounter any issues running the engine without the fan there?

Later on, when temps raise up above freezing I will need the fan back on. Instead of the clutch fan can I upgrade it to a second electric fan? Anyone done this before and has a write up somewhere? A kit to buy perhaps?

Why not do something simple, When we get a really cold snap in NY (we do get them around zero) i would just put a piece of cardboard infront of the radiator. It works well.

Yes you can remove the fan. but you will need shorter bolts or spacers to take up the space.

You can also ditch the fan and put in an aftermarket electric fan.

The fan clutches on these cars dont really look like they are working at idle, but they fubction at higher RPM's. Thats when the clutches disengage the fan.

I think it may just be colder then the car was designed to handle, a small engine, decent sized radiator, and very cold air. Try the cardboard first.

nipper

Yes you can remove the fan. but you will need shorter bolts or spacers to take up the space.

Huh? I just left the studs sticking out with no fan bolted to them on mine when I removed it (okay... just didn't feel like putting it back on after a side of the road timing belt change). I didn't put the electric fan back on either. It still only runs at half on the temp gauge at most (I don't have working A/C any more though, and I rarely sit in summer traffice -- usually moving along pretty well).

Z

Huh? I just left the studs sticking out with no fan bolted to them on mine when I removed it (okay... just didn't feel like putting it back on after a side of the road timing belt change). I didn't put the electric fan back on either. It still only runs at half on the temp gauge at most (I don't have working A/C any more though, and I rarely sit in summer traffice -- usually moving along pretty well).

Z

I couldnt remeber if they were studs or bolts.

nipper

yea, you might notice that the threads on the studs on the water pump pulley aren't cut deep enough (common on el cheapo reman'd units). so you might need washers to keep pressure on the pulley.

the cardboard might help, but the fan will still circulate a lot of air through the engine bay, even if not pulling it through the radiator.

it might not help the car warm up much faster, but it'll definitely run more efficient (power AND mileage!)

Why not do something simple, When we get a really cold snap in NY (we do get them around zero) i would just put a piece of cardboard infront of the radiator. It works well.

I did that the day I bought the Loyale. I hae both my Subarus with cardboard in front of the radiator. The Forester warms up really quick with the cardboard and stays there, the Loyale takes forever to warm up, and I think it is because of the clutch fan. I'll be removing the fan tonight.

Unless your thermostat is staying open a bit, the fans on should have no effect on the engine warming up. I get off work between midnight and 4AM usually, and lately it's been 18 or 20 degrees. Cold enough that the battery is strained, and the oil is thick. I let it idle for about one minute and drive away. Going through town at 25 mph, it warms up within 2 miles. I know that's not cold compared to where some of you live.

I removed the darn mech fan on all my EA82T's as well. On my RX I installed a EA81 a/c fan, and I was able to bolt up 2, maybe three bolts to the radiator holes WITHOUT drilling new ones. Holds fine. I also ran a switch to the dash, ya just gotta remember to switch it on!!

Maybe putting a fitted piece of cardboard behind the grill to stop airflow. That should warn the engine a bit faster.