Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower motor does not function at any speed!

I have an 81 GL wagon. The heater blower motor does not operate at any speed.

I checked the fuse and it is good so I checked to see if I have voltage across the fuse cradle. I have nothing!

If I am correct that would narrow the problem to:

Blower Relay- Where is this located?

Blower Resistor Block-Is this the square metal box screwed to the dash just above the glove box?

Fan Switch-Anyway to check this with a voltmeter from the rear?

Blower Motor-Can I apply 12v directly from to the motor contacts without worrying about overloading the motor? Say from the cigarette lighter or something similar?

Any advice would sure be appreciated. It is COLD here today!

Thanks, Gary

Blower Relay- Where is this located?

That was my first thought.

If it's like the EA82 cars it'll be up under the dash above the driver's left knee ...in the US market.

The EA81 folks will know.

Metalic cylinder - four wires - one will be larger diameter (blue?) ....IF I'm not mistaken. Pull off the connector and check for blued or burnt post.

I just looked under the dash above the fuse box and I do not see any cylindrical doodads with 4 wires attached. I do see a couple of round "flasher" type relays and a larger relay marked "intermittent wiper" but no others.

I just purchased this car so I inherited the blower motors problem. I suppose it is possible that the a previous owner removed the relay for some reason and never got around to replacing it.

Bottom line is that I don't even know what it looks like! Would anyone be able to send me a photo of the relay or perhaps lead me to a web link where it shows one?

It would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

To find the relays, as you're sitting the drivers seat, reach under the dash, to the left of the wheel, and feel back towards yourself. You probably won't be able to be sitting there and do, but that's the best way to describe where they are.

It will be with a group of three other relays (two are the headlight, and the last in the rear defroster, IIRC).

You can run power directly to the motor. It is just like running it at full speed.

Since the fuse has no power to it you are going to have to check the wiring from the battery. The fuse is the first thing in line with the power so it can protect the whole circuit. There may be another fuse under the hood that is bad and be the problem or it may be a fusible link that has blown.

I do not see any cylindrical doodads with 4 wires attached. I do see a couple of round "flasher" type relays

Sounds like you found them.

Those are cylindrical,right? :) Round would be a ball.

And yes,undo all grounds you can find. Clean the area of contact and all corrosion and use some dielectric grease when you set them back on.