Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Subaru Outback Limited, which cylinder is which?

I am new to this site but I have been having the notorius Subaru misfire code - P0304, meaning my cylinder four.

My question is a simple one, can someone please tell me, while looking at the engine with the hood up, which cylinders are from that standpoint( ie. cyl 1 passenger side,rear of engine).

I have replaced my plugs but have not stuck with the NGKs or the OEM spark plug cables, the entire misfire issue began after I replaced the plugs and wires about 3k after.

I work on my own car but have a hard time with my schedule (ER), that and the fact that boxer engines are hard to work on spark plug wise ( yes I use a rubber line to remove and insert plugs, clearance sucks).

Any help would be highly apppreciated.:)

Thanks for the post it I think it solved a problem after failing emissions test here in Seattle. I will get a OEM sparkplug wires from Subaru; mine are red colored. How do I change out number 4 plug and wire since it is sitting right next to the body?? Unbolt a motor mount and jack up the motor? How are Bosch plugs in a 2.5 legacyOBW?

Thanks

I'd stick with NGK plugs as that's what soobs seem to like. V-power's work great. Bosch had some issues for a while with cracking I think. To get the plugs out on the 2.5L phase I dohc is a little tricky because of reduced clearance. There is an article on endwrench.com that shows what sockets and extension lengths, flex pieces etc to do it more easily.

Schilite60,

The plugs on Subies are a problem to change, but have been made easier to get to over the years. My first 97 OBW was the worst for clearance, the 02 OBW I had next was a bit easier, and my present 07 OBW is a piece of cake to change the plugs on. What I found works well for the those close quarters is to use a 3/8's ratchet, the plug socket, a short extention, and a 3/8's flex adapter, but not necessarily all at the same time. In some situations you can put the extention on the socket with the plug inserted and finger wind it into the head before adding the ratchet. In others you'll find that using the flex adapter, rather than the short extention, then the plug socket is the way to go. Mix and match the pieces and experiment a bit and I'm sure you'll find a method that will work with just the standard tools you already have. Obviously, removing the air snorkel and windshield washer tank that may be in the way, depending on the model and the year, makes the job much easier. Good Luck!

• 1 year later...

Stay away from cheap wires for sure.. I have some wires.. I went to pull the boot and the part that plugs into the spark plug ripped right out of the boot.. on the other hand good thing I did that since the #4 plug was starting to get loose with black carbon over the outer boot plug.. Not sure how that happen as I made sure all were sung back in early march.

nevertheless I ordered NGK replacement plug instead of this no name whatever the last owner had on here.