Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 Sinking brake pedal

Hi. The pedal will sink to the floor, but only under steady, LIGHT, pressure, a firm push gives a firm pedal and no braking issues. This with the car running (92 Loyale 4wd/5sp/wagon) No fluid loss evident. I changed out the right rear axle bearing last summer and bled the brakes as per the instructions given elsewhere in the site. The sinking pedal remains unchanged. I would rather chase down the problem before it becomes a safety issue, not later. I have gone through this post : http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39459&highlight=sinking+brake+pedal but the conclusions are kinda inconclusive :-\ and the o.p.'s problem was not quite the same (Pedal sank under firm pressure) Any ideas out there?

Hi. The pedal will sink to the floor, but only under steady, LIGHT, pressure, a firm push gives a firm pedal and no braking issues.

I had that happen one time. It never happened again, so unfortunatly, I don't know specifically what it was. Everyting looked & worked fine after that. I drove that car for years after the incident.

This just happened to me it went away after replacing the master cyl. and the rear pistons. Since I did both im not sure which one it was but start with that :) If no fluid loss is evident at the wheels but you are losing fluid from the res I would suspect the rear . If no fluid is lost at all over time from the res then I think the master cyl. is to blame.

Edited by Caramanos2000