Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Flippin Flappel its Cold

:lol: yeah, at 7:00 AM this morning, it was already up to -19.6*F at my house. the '78 took a few tries to get started, but it did.....

Looking for a high today of -5*F is what I heard this morning :) though it looks like they upped it to -1*F now for a high....

it's already up to -12*F now....

my purple wagon had frozen gas in it. i put a space heater and light under the hood, while i had the charger on it. made it in to work. never bothered to try a different car, as the drive is drfted except where the purple wagon was, and it was blocking all exit points.

Im kinda concerned about my wifes car boys, any advist. Should i take a hammer and try to tap the pullys to get them loose.

Does it have power steering? It could be the power steering pump is locked or close to it because the fluid is too cold.

I wouldn't run it if there is a pully that the belt is sliding around instead of turning... it'll shred the belt in pretty short order (hmmm... how do I know that?)

is it near electrical outlet? can you reach extension cords to somewhere?

small table lamp, or small space heater of the ceramic core type only (safer than open space toaster like ones under the hood and gas lines). prefer, use a small trouble light or a few, place up along the intake, and block close hood down to keep heat in.

good luck.

be careful, have fire extenguisher handy, and this is a slow process.......at least an hour or 2 to get the lamp to change the temp some. its just alittle difference it needs in temp

also, a trick. take guido out and get it warmed up good like a 10 mile or so drive. pull it in the garage, and open its hood, shut off car in garage, door down. in about 5 minutes, the heat from guido what is gives off as warmth, will warm the garage up some. then get other car in garage.....asap, and keep that heat in. warm it up some.

good luck b careful

temperature of last post @ 1:45 am -20f temp 2:45 pm -7f

400w block heater on all night

1500w milkhouse heater on 1/2 - 1 hr before driving

atleast this combination works :)

also have 1500w makita heat gun :banana: and makita blower for snow and ice removal, and 20" ariens snow blower for the bad stuff

luckily the subaru is small enough to fit in the garage

Why not take a small butane or propane torch and heat the pulley? I'm not talking about holding it there until the belt melts to the pulley, but pass the torch across the face of the pulley for a couple of minutes. Since steel transfers heat really well, it shouldn't take anything but a couple of minutes to get the fluid in the reservoir warmed up enough to keep the pump from squeeling, if that be the case. Before doing anything like this though, check the belt tension to make sure that it isn't just a loose belt. I hope this helps.

Patrick

Doesnt matter any more fellas shes toast. Wont even turn over now. If i cant get it started buy saturday im takeing drastic measures. On another note my subaru is doing pretty good except the suspension is frozen. When i hit a bump theres no gradual movement its just bam. I despirately need to flush the heater core and replace the t stat. Also, this is kinda stupid but has anyone ever put house insalation in the door pannels and roof to quiet down there cars and maybe keep some heat inside of them.

Ben

Ben that sucks about the van.. Hope it warms up for you guys soon... No where close to as bad as you guys got it ...but still really bad for here..just checked and its -7 right now and thats brutal. Couldnt image. I feel for you guys when the heating bill comes for this month..I know your systems HAVE to be working OT.

You know ..I thought about the same thing when I had Bucky...and after having him gutted for abit..I think there might be some room for the thin thin stuff But I believe...like a house...most of the heat loss is through the windows.

And Guido rocks!! Cause even Holly was having issues starting..and Guido is doing great gotto love those EA82 wagons sometimes

Edited by Bucky92