Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From the searcing I've done, rear axles are the same for both Legacys and outbacks 95-99. I am swapping the rear diff in my 96 outback with one from a 98 legacy L yet the axle stubs are not sliding into the new diff? Was there a spline count change or something else that would cause this? Or do I just need to give it a harder push?

From the searcing I've done, rear axles are the same for both Legacys and outbacks 95-99. I am swapping the rear diff in my 96 outback with one from a 98 legacy L yet the axle stubs are not sliding into the new diff? Was there a spline count change or something else that would cause this? Or do I just need to give it a harder push?

I bet the diff gear ratio is different between the Legacy and the outback

It is in fact different. It had a 4.44 and I am putiing in a 4.11 to match the tranny that now resides in her. The trouble is that after dropping the old diff, the axle stubs are just stopping with 1" left to go sliding into the (98)diff. According to Opposed Forces the axles are the same from 94 thru 98 for nearly all legacys and nothing was damaged in removal.

I should mention that when I gave up I reinstalled the old diff and it went like butter!

Had I known there was a difference ahead of time I would have grabbed the axles I have in the garage that are known to fit and brought them with me to where I was working on the car.

I did a quick check online (autozone - do not buy from them!) and the part numbers are the same for both of your years/models of Legacy - the only diff (pun intended) is Left and Right...on the rear CV axles only.

However, when I looked on 1st Subaru Parts website, there is a listing for '95-97 and '98-2000 for the Legacy.... I don't know what, if any, difference there is.

I also thought they were all the same, so I had to look for my own info.

Also, since there is no distinction for '96-97 axles between Outback and L models online, the rear diff ratio shouldn't matter.

Since you have the '98 axles, too, I guess you're good to go...however, swapping a rear diff is a PITA....esp. twice.:mad:

Edited by wtdash
add diff info

Thanks Dash for the confirmation. It wasn't too bad. Despite alot of new england rust it came apart pretty easy. When I go to do this again at least everything is already broken free and and will go quickly.

Its also nice that we have a heated, drive-in warehouse where I work so I'm not freezing my balls off outside.:D

Based on my experience yesterday and what dash found I think that we are saying they are different. When I reattempt the job probably wednesday or thursday I will compare them side by side. Count the splines on each and measure the overall diameter to conclude the matter.

• 4 months later...