Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mysterious Warning Lights....

Hi, I purchased a 2008 Imprezza 5 door a few months ago and got it stuck in the snow this morning. When I finally got out, and was driving down the road, I noticed that my "Engine" light was on, and my "Cruise" light was flashing. I was juicing the car a bit to get it out, but did'nt lay on the gas too much ( I was very stuck, and knew I could not avoid shoveling it out). Does anyone know what might be going on? I live 100 miles from the dealership, so would like to exhaust all my resources before taking it up for a diagnostics test.

Hi, I purchased a 2008 Imprezza 5 door a few months ago and got it stuck in the snow this morning. When I finally got out, and was driving down the road, I noticed that my "Engine" light was on, and my "Cruise" light was flashing. I was juicing the car a bit to get it out, but did'nt lay on the gas too much ( I was very stuck, and knew I could not avoid shoveling it out). Does anyone know what might be going on? I live 100 miles from the dealership, so would like to exhaust all my resources before taking it up for a diagnostics test.

Good chance you got water somewhere up on the engine that it didn't like. Caused a sensor reading to go out of line for a moment and trip the light. Most major autoparts store will read a code for free. I would start there. You can always try the route of unplugging your battery for a little while to reset the ECU, but I would try an autoparts store first. If they can read a code, they can also clear it.

Also, on the newer cars the Cruise light flashes, and cruise is disabled, when the CEL comes on. I think it's there way of annoying you into getting it fixed and spending money.

Keith

Also, on the newer cars the Cruise light flashes, and cruise is disabled, when the CEL comes on. I think it's there way of annoying you into getting it fixed and spending money.

There's a bit more to it than that. If the ECU doesn't have full control of the engine (it could even be in a limp mode), it might not be prudent to allow cruise mode to be enabled.

being that new i'd go have the code checked even if you have no further problems. i'd want to know what got wet or compromised and have them physically look at it to make sure all the connections and stuff are clean.

it's possible that something compromised during the little incident could cause problems down the road (read - after the warranty is expired).

if there's salt used in your area then a proper washing underneath is a good idea to prevent rust from getting started if you were stuck that bad.

I wouldnt even bother getting the codes read right now. Look under the car make sure nothing is dangling anywwhere (nothing broke).

Disconnect the battery for ten minutes, that should clear the codes.

In some CEL failures the car will disable the cruise.

If its still an issue get the codes read at a autozone.

nipper

I would just take it to the dealer..its under warranty..and you dont have to tell them what you did. Probably something just wet or loose...I put my 08 Imp through everything and the only issue I have had is the Tire monitoring system light being stuck on for days because of cold temps.

Ya know, it's funny everyone says go to a big auto store and have them read the code. At least here in CA Auto Zone and Kragen and Napa do NOT do the code readings. Don't know about Pep Boys as the closest one is far too far away to make it worth it (went out and bought a scan gauge to make life easier).

On top of that an 06 or newer Subaru can't be read by a standard OBDII reader anyway. These cars are CANBUS I believe and don't read well with traditional scanners.

The cruise light is on because the Check Engine light is on.

If the light isn't flashing (The check engine light that is) you are ok to drive it until you can get to the dealership.

It might clear itself after a few drive cycles depending on the code. (Gas cap loose or off can)

As far as the tire pressure warning light mentioned....

When the air pressure was set, you need to know what temp it was outside. For every 10 degrees of temperature drop from that temperature you need to add 1 pound of air to the tire. Do not exceed the sidewall recommended max pressure though.

The tire pressure warning light will reset itself without assistance from the dealer if the tire pressure is above the door placard recommendation and may require you to drive the car for a mile or two at slow speed to reset.

For example. Air set at 70 Degrees on a car that recommends 35PSI....today it is 30 degrees out....

40 degree drop means add 4 PSI to the tires for a total of 39.

In Denver with Nitrogen fill system I have been setting them to 38 and have had happy customers...even Tribeca customers. :)

The Nitrogen fill is not recommended by Subaru for TPMS though but we use it anyway without problem.

I apologize for this list comment but it needs to be said. ALL of this is in the owners manual. One of the nicest owners manuals I have ever seen Subaru publish. (the 2008 and above sets).