Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace 4wd disty w/ 2wd disty?

I read that if I exchange the 4wd disty on my ea81 for one from a 2wd that I

Would get better performance!? Can anyone confirm this mod?

That's what I've been told several times, something about the timing being advanced. I've never had a 2WD one to try so I've never done it

Thanks Subietech,

Wow! Just when you think you got it all figured out someone comes along to shed another Light on the subject.

Perhaps there needs to be a forum for PROVEN fixes with data?

As it stands I can only search and go by the majority.

By the way are you a technician? How long?

I once argued with GD unsuccessfully about the power difference between the two disty's. The 2WD NippponDenso (ND) I had put in my '81 hatch rev'd the engine up quicker than the 4WD Hitachi. There were very pronounced differences in the way the two disty's drove. GD explained that it was probably a difference in the spring rates of the vacuum advance.

I like the way the Hitachi drives better, but the ig. control module went out on mine recently. I have been running a different ND disty from the one I was using before, and this one drives a lot more like the Hitachi. So I think that is probably more anecdotal support for the vac. can spring rate idea.

After a couple years of going back and forth between the two types and comparing and contrasting I can't see a difference in power, but there may be a difference in the way they behave ( if that makes any sense) which may even have more to do with the age of the disty (maybe the ND vac. can spring wears out and gets weaker sooner). I think general consensus is that the Hitachi is a better unit and I would agree.

I notice a definite difference in how my 2wd EA81 drives compared to the 4wd EA81. Much more peppy, quicker to accelerate, etc. It feels kind of quick, almost wherease the 4wd one feels.... like an EA81...

But... its got a different transmission and car behind the engine too... so who knows where the exact difference is...

Z