Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric fan sounds like star wars character

Need a new electric fan for my radiator, turned the key this morning and it sound like a star wars character lol. Anyways can I wire a new one to the stock ones wiring? What fan do you guys recomend? Generic one from autozone or a junker from another car or..... Dont wana spend to much kinda strapped for cash A.T.M. :-\

Hows about either of these:

http://www.go-part.com/9599-subaru-legacy-radiator-cooling-assembly-p-10416.html?channelid=NEXTA&productid=SU31151022fy

http://www.drautoparts.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=8776113

If I get one thats different, can I just splice the wiring? Any idea how many AMPs the stock one draws?

The Honda one looks like it might work. I think the Legacy one might be too big,,not sure on that though

Also, I Suggest you to Check it, maybe it is Just Loose and the Vibration makes the Noise.

You Writed that When you Turn the Key, the Fan Starts? ... That is not Correct on EA82`s, because they have the Belt Driven Fan Permanently Spinnin` and the Electric fan Should come ON when the A/C is ON or when the Engine`s Cooling system reaches a Li`l Bit Above the Half Temperature at the Temp Gauge...

So if the Fan is Permantly ON with the ignition Key, Something is Wrong with it, Maybe the Thermo Switch went bad and Someone just Bypassed it, or maybe the Subie was Overheating... I Suggest to check that Too.

an Electric fan that is Permanently ON with the ignition Key will not last too Long, and should wear Faster the Alternator too...

Good Luck!

I would be leary of mounting any fan to the radiator core itself. Bumps and fan vibration can eventually lead to radiator core failure. I don't care how hot of a climate you drive in there is no reason to have the fan wired to run all the time. When a vehicle gets past 30 mph you are pushing way more air than any fan will probably draw. You are taxing the charging system and putting undo wear on the fan which should last many years. I replaced the twin factory fans in my Brat with a single 14" hayden. It works but when it kicks on you don't get the rapid temperature drop of the twin factory fan system. The aftermarket fan doesn't pull as much cfm of air as the factory twin fan. The only reason I dropped the Hayden into the Brat was because I had it left over from another project. Plus it could be mounted to the radiator frame. I would do what was already suggested and that is get a factory used replacement. That will probably be about the maxium cfm of air you will get. Plus it shrouds the radiator to pull across the whole core. Have it wired back into the switch. If you have problems with temperature and the fan works you need to address the problem. Be it the thermostat, water pump, radiator, radiator cap or whatever else is affecting the cooling system in your Subaru. Another thing, water cools better than antifreeze. After you have addressed any problems in your cooling system you could adjust your antifreeze to water mixture to 1-2 for better cooling.

Sounds good then, I will get a used one. Can anyone sell me one, there are none in Puerto Rico I could find. :mad: They told me there must be only 2 gls here, mine and the devils lol :banana::banana: Seriously someone PM me I will buy a working on off of ya :grin:

I'm sure someone can get you one. If I had one or could get one, I'd hook you up.