Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking at a 84 gl wagon

going to look at a 84 wagon tomorrow. not sure if i want to get into something that old. I am driving a 97 impreza L right now but its an auto and i hate automatics.

The wagon would also let me haul my tools around for work too.

here is the link...

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/994367964.html

i know the 84's came with a 4spd. So either its an 85 or the seller is incorrect.

either way i am gonna have a look. How hard is sourcing parts for these now a days?

This actually listed in the for sale section of this forum. It has a 5 spd because the po did the conversion in it. I was actually thinking about getting this car but I don't have the cash. I say go for it. Parts are getting hard to find on this side of the country. But most of the time you can get parts shipped to you from out west. I would definitely buy this car if it was me. Oh and even the 85's came with a 4 spd in this body style! Only the EA82's came with 5 SPDs, except for the 2WD EA81

going to go check it out in a little....

concerned about rust and the like. as i said, i really have been looking to a late 80's early 90's yota pick up but if this thing is nice enough and the owner comes down in price, maybe. i already have a set of swampers and a perfectly good 95 2.2L engine.

Edited by sayn3ver

going to go check it out in a little....

concerned about rust and the like. as i said, i really have been looking to a late 80's early 90's yota pick up but if this thing is nice enough and the owner comes down in price, maybe. i already have a set of swampers and a perfectly good 05 2.2L engine.

I think it's pretty solid. He said a couple minor spots but overall I think this is one of the better east coast cars you'll find.

checked it out, i couldn't crawl underneath but overall it looked rather clean. It does have some minor cancer around the front of the rear fenders and along the bottom of the door frames.

Took it for a quick round the block. felt solid.

I would need to use this as my daily driver as i would be selling my current impreza....so without heat and a fuel gauge its not very practical right now. I need to see if i can source the parts to get those fixed and i might put a bid in.

the interior is well, enough said, definitely not buying one of these for their interiors, especially this one.

any idea what the fix is for the fuel gauge not reading. My gut is the sending unit but it that a separate entity or does it come with the pump?

more importantly, will it pass inspection in NJ?

lastly. Is the original owner who had the car still around on here? I'd like to know what wires were chopped up behind the HVAC before i decide to spend many of hours out in the cold figuring out someone else's wire job.

I think that someone knows who the original owner is. The gas guage is most likely the sending unit on the tank. Mine is the same way. The only guage in mine that works is the temp. Other than that I have no gas or oil guage, they stopped working and I don't care to fix

yes but i would need the fuel gauge working because this wouldn't be a trail rig.

i guess i'd have to find a junk yard with an EA81 model vehicle? i would assume they all use the same sending unit.

My Brat is a daily driver in the summer. I just calculate how many miles to the gallon and how much my tank holds. Yeah I guess junk yard would be the best bet. I couldn't find a new one.

the owner got the heater working. I am not seriously considering buying this.

I still dunno though as i like being able to get parts around the corner from autozone with my 97...:banana:

You'll be able to get most parts from the store. I still go to NAPA and get any "new" parts I need. But obviously when it comes to body parts and trim etc. you'll have to search for that.

cool. i wasn't sure. I know there is some "after 10 years parts are discontinued" or something.

I also meant to say that i am seriously considering it. however, i am leaning more towards waiting for a pick up. I love subarus but i could really use the bed and such.

cool. i wasn't sure. I know there is some "after 10 years parts are discontinued" or something.

I also meant to say that i am seriously considering it. however, i am leaning more towards waiting for a pick up. I love subarus but i could really use the bed and such.

Yeah I can understand that. But no truck will get the gas mileage that the suby can/will!!! And it's an old suby, you'll be unique, especially on this side of the country!!

But no truck will get the gas mileage that the suby can/will!!!

The 70's japanese 2wd pickups will get awfully close -- I used to get 26 to 27mpg in my 2wd courier. Though.... it's 2wd instead of 4wd, and also makes an EA81 subaru feel kinda fast. You also won't be able to find those on that side of the country either... rust :(

Z

The 70's japanese 2wd pickups will get awfully close -- I used to get 26 to 27mpg in my 2wd courier. Though.... it's 2wd instead of 4wd, and also makes an EA81 subaru feel kinda fast. You also won't be able to find those on that side of the country either... rust :(

Z

yeah all great points, but I hadn't even thought of that stuff because of the rust issue!:-\

yeah all great points, but I hadn't even thought of that stuff because of the rust issue!:-\

yeah... being out here, it seems like a perfectly viable option to find a 60's or 70's vehicle and just make the engine run. There's some 40's pickups along the side of the road in town that are probably restoreable (engines are siezed, I'm sure, but bodies aren't bad). I forget that cars don't stay around for 50 years back there :)

On the other hand, the expected lifetime of a windshield in Colorado is about 3 years.... between rocks and temperature extremes

yeah... being out here, it seems like a perfectly viable option to find a 60's or 70's vehicle and just make the engine run. There's some 40's pickups along the side of the road in town that are probably restoreable (engines are siezed, I'm sure, but bodies aren't bad). I forget that cars don't stay around for 50 years back there :)

On the other hand, the expected lifetime of a windshield in Colorado is about 3 years.... between rocks and temperature extremes

Yeah honestly I hate it out here for that reason! I'd take broken windshields over rusty bodies any day!! Send me a rust free body!!!:grin: