Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy,

I've got a problem with the 2000 OBS I picked up a few months ago, and after a search couldn't find anything on it..

The issue is it won't take fuel.....well, it will BARELY take fuel, it will kick off the auto-shut off on a gas nozzle, even on the lowest setting....

So I have to hold the trigger the whole time, at just a slight trickle...takes about 10 minutes to fill it up...

So anybody ever have this issue, and if so, how did you remedy it?

I've messed with a lot of Subarus, but never run into this before...

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Huck

Creator of FrankenWedge

huck, i plugged around on line (i would only do that for you!) and came up with this:

clean out the charcoal canister lines. if they have debris in them, it can cause this.

might even need to replace the charcoal canister (no big deal).

check any additional lines or solenoid (purge solenoid maybe) associated with these lines - they could be clogged.

seems like this charcoal canister line stuff being clogged is the most likely culprit.

check the fuel filler neck and fuel breather hose.

i didn't find this, but i'd also check for damage underneath, like to the tank.

Have you tried different angles etc. with the nozzle? I know sometimes with certain pumps on mine I have to actually hold the nozzle out a little bit and then it flows fine. Or either that your breather hose is plugged?

I have tried, pulling it out some, and different angles...when you stand there for 10 minutes filling it in below freezing weather, you tend to try anything to make it faster:grin: ...but thanks for the reply

huck, i plugged around on line (i would only do that for you!) and came up with this:

clean out the charcoal canister lines. if they have debris in them, it can cause this.

might even need to replace the charcoal canister (no big deal).

check any additional lines or solenoid (purge solenoid maybe) associated with these lines - they could be clogged.

seems like this charcoal canister line stuff being clogged is the most likely culprit.

check the fuel filler neck and fuel breather hose.

i didn't find this, but i'd also check for damage underneath, like to the tank.

I'll check the charcoal canister....sucks that it's in the back instead of the engine compartment....but at least the hoses will be shorter...:rolleyes::grin:

I'll reply with results when I get around to checking it (hopefully before I need gas again:eek:)

Huck

My buddy has a 99 OBS, the dealer was messing with the hoses on it for months, and couldn't fix it. I believe it started after he put a trailer hitch on it, but that may have been a coincedence. The final solution required replacing the entire fill tube. If you need more info, I'll try and get more from him.

I talked to My buddy that had (past tense) the 99 OBS. I was mistaken about it needing a filler tube. Actually, his trouble started when he replaced a filler tube that had a hole in it from corrosion. That eliminated a vent path that had been allowing the car to take gas up until that point. His problem after months of troubleshooting and (apparently thousands of dollars) of warranted shop time ended up being the right and left fuel tanks were blocked in the interconnecting vent line. The driver side tank would take a small amount, then kick back into the passenger tank which would then spit back up, kicking the gas station pump off. The gas tanks were both replaced which fixed it. All the external hoses and the charcoal canister and the vent solenoid and that stuff had previously been replaced by the dealer without fixing the problem.

I talked to My buddy that had (past tense) the 99 OBS. I was mistaken about it needing a filler tube. Actually, his trouble started when he replaced a filler tube that had a hole in it from corrosion. That eliminated a vent path that had been allowing the car to take gas up until that point. His problem after months of troubleshooting and (apparently thousands of dollars) of warranted shop time ended up being the right and left fuel tanks were blocked in the interconnecting vent line. The driver side tank would take a small amount, then kick back into the passenger tank which would then spit back up, kicking the gas station pump off. The gas tanks were both replaced which fixed it. All the external hoses and the charcoal canister and the vent solenoid and that stuff had previously been replaced by the dealer without fixing the problem.

Uh,,, there is only one tank