Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question!

You don't need to grind the bellhousing if your EA81 has a 225mm clutch. Just fit the friction disc from the EA82 in the EA81 pressure plate and flywheel then space the starter motor out 6mm. Its what I done with my 5sp swap in my EA81 Sedan.

The wiring is slightly different, especially the coil and disty wiring. But not hard to rewire.

otherwise, you can swap the ea82 flywheel and clutch onto the ea81. the holes are larger, but the bolts will fit and torque. be aware the timing marks are different between the ea81 and ea82 flywheels, so be sure to transfer the marks if you can.

You don't need to grind the bellhousing if your EA81 has a 225mm clutch. Just fit the friction disc from the EA82 in the EA81 pressure plate and flywheel then space the starter motor out 6mm. Its what I done with my 5sp swap in my EA81 Sedan.

Not all clutch discs are the same - some will not fit inside the cavity of the EA81 flywheel due to the shape of the dampener spring assembly.

We also know that he has an EA82 flywheel so that's the surest method to get it installed.

GD

the reason i'm thinking of switching from an EA82 to a EA81 is because the timing belt broke while driving on the hiway. took her to the mechanic, he says that aside from the belt being broke, the tensioner broke as well. he called several parts stores, and they sell a "kit" which comes with a belt, tensioner, and pulley, and a few more minor pcs. all for the grand total of $270.00! (plus they have to order the kit):rolleyes: so after all is said and done, he 's gonna charge me approx. $600.00 parts and labor! :eek: and that doesnt include the fact that he still has to see if any valves are bent or any further damage. at least, he told me before he actually did anything to it. he even told me to think about it, because of how much money i wanted to put into it. anyway, theres this guy who has an '84 subaru selling for parts. he wants $250.00 for the engine (hence EA81) so question is....do i do it?:-\ let me know what u guys think. by the way thanks for all your responses. i will definately take all of that info into consideration if i decide to do the swap. thanks again!

...he still has to see if any valves are bent or any further damage. ...

EA82`s are Non-interference Engines! ... Thanks God!!! ... so Valves Must be O.K.! :)

Maybe you can Obtain a Cheaper Timin` Belts Kit at e-bay or Something Alike, and then I Suggest you to do the Timin` Belts` Job by Yourself, it is not Too Hard to Do, here You`ll find Great Write ups with Pictures of the Procedure (Look at the USRM) and you can Save some Money!

Kind Regards & Good Luck!

I say you take the $250 you were going to spend on a EA81, and buy a timing belt kit... then do the work yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-1994-Subaru-1-8-GL-DL-Loyale-Timing-Belt-Kit-EA82_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220352434323QQitemZ220352434323QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

There is the kit you need. Its alot less than $250 and shouldn't take more than 5 days to get to you. There is plenty of documentation here on the board to walk you through it.

I used that same kit on my EA82 turbo, and it worked great. It has everything you need.

Also, do not worry about your valves. The engine is a non-interference engine and breaking a timing belt will do absolutly no harm to anything else at all.

Your mechanic is ripping you off at that price. the belts cost 45 bucks for the pair, the tensioner can be had for not much as well. Im sure you can find a timing belt kit for way less than 270 bones.

As was stated, EA82 motors are non-interference, so there will be no internal damage at all.

As far as swapping an EA81 in there, I say do it, I did it, and I love it. About the same power, never have to worry about timing belts goin out at the wrong time, and its pretty simple swap. I used the EA82 clutch/pp/flywheel, I tried a EA81 flywheel but it was 1/4 inch too thick and the pressure plate would not fully engage the clutch. I used the stock ignition coil and everything, just extended the wires to the passenger side of the car to reach the disty. You can also use the EA82 intake manifold and the pipe that comes off the water pump to go to the heater from your car too and then youll only have to change 1 radiator hose to hook up the radiator. For power steering youd need a EA81 power steering pump and bracket, unless you rig up a custom mount for the stock one. I was too lazy, so I bypassed the lines on the steering rack and have been driving it without power steering. Its a workout turning 31" tires, but It doesnt even phase me at all anymore

-Bill