Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keep repairing 97 Legacy or start to look for another one...

I have a 97 Legacy that has had significant work done on it since I got it, including timing belt, water pump, radiator, brakes, tires, TPS, alternator, knock filter and such. The car has 171k on it and I put 50K over the last 2 years. I need new rear bearings, have a possible leak in the oil seal, plus I've gotten a P0420 codes pop up a couple of times over the past 6 months.

Should I keep repairing it, or should I start looking for a new daily driver?

I do regular maintenance (tuneups and such), but everything else goes to my mechanic, who is really reasonable. The car is paid off, which is a good thing. I'm just not sure how much more "big" money issues would come up, as I could put that money towards something newer?

I have a 97 Legacy that has had significant work done on it since I got it, including timing belt, water pump, radiator, brakes, tires, TPS, alternator, knock filter and such. The car has 171k on it and I put 50K over the last 2 years. I need new rear bearings, have a possible leak in the oil seal, plus I've gotten a P0420 codes pop up a couple of times over the past 6 months.

So far i see nothing out of line here, the car is ageing, and its all stuff that would happen to any car with age.

The trouble code is a front O2 sensor.

keep it.

nipper

First, I also hate the bank thing too-but a couple year loan is manageable. From what you've mentioned-work wise-171k is great. I don't see any $2k repair bill listed but at this mileage that is probably the other foot you are thinking is getting ready to drop. As always, it's good to have reasonable repairs at reasonable intervals eh? And besides any fatal problems with the engine and tranny which can be replaced fairly reasonably-esp. since you have a shop you trust; there is suspension, steering, exhaust components that will always eventually need "refurbishing".

I think you might be looking for another DD so you can give the 97 a rest. I think 3500 to 4500 can get you a lot of newer DD. bottom line, your high mileage DD (project car) shouldn't be your only mode of transportation.

Jon

98 OBS 137k

97 Leg OB Ltd 202K

Keep it running, some of what you mention is scheduled maintenance like timing belts etc.

If you get another car you'd be looking at repeat cycle of same costs for maintenance again. And possibly replacement of similar parts.

You already decided that the car was worth the investment when you did those repairs.

If you trust the car in its current condition, I'd drive it until it gives you a real repair bill that exceeds the total value or at a point where you feel it is no longer reliable transportation.

If you trust the car in its current condition, I'd drive it until it gives you a real repair bill that exceeds the total value or at a point where you feel it is no longer reliable transportation.

I think we need to change the formula that we use. I go by what is the cost of repairs vs the new car payments for a year and additional insurance.

nipper