Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery Relocation :)

Want to put my battery in the back of my Wagon.

Gonna be picking up the biggest Optima Red Top I can find

and would like to know how to secure it.

I dont think I will be buying a kit, just buying the separate

components and putting it together myself. I will probably use

a battery box but I dont know how to secure it...

Should I just bolt it down ? 2ga wire should be good right?

I think I need:

About 24ft of 2ga power wire

3-6ft of ground wire

power distribution block for engine bay

battery box

good terminals

heat shrink tubing

Some sort of fuse/breaker? What kind do I need?

that sound right?

Would just adding a second battery with this:http://www.darvex.com/SGP38KIT/Add+2nd+Battery+Relay+Isolater+Wiring+Kit.html

be better?

Edited by Caramanos2000

are you using auxillary lights or somthing, seems like a monster battery is overkill , there kinda expensive too, you should be able to buy all the components at walmart, except the 2 guage wire.. tractor supply has wire, 4 guage black and red . you could use welding wire to, its more flexable, and its better suited for abrasion and oil resistance. 2 guage is kinda big

this is a link to a wire chart below it has a voltage drop calculator

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

I put the kit together myself. The battery box was only $12 (discount import parts), the battery kill switch was $18 (Baxters), and the wires & battery fittings were like $120 (car toys). I know I could have used cheaper wires, but I'm running a lot of stuff and I really didn't want it to fail.

(7 lights up front, after market stereo, twin hella horns and two big back-up lights)

354657268h7w5xxlhr0.jpg

Here's a link to another tread talking about relocating the battery: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88477

Edited by Pooparu

well, after tonight, i can definatly say that you wont regret the optima. i have muy battery in the trunk of my rx, using a plastic battery box sitting in one of the cargo compartments. i still need to acutally secure the box, but for now, the elastic and 2x4 are working rather well.

as for the optima, i spun the crank pulley bolt out on my way home from work tonight (didnt come all the way out) and when i got it back in, i noticed that the alternator belt was a bit loose due to the alternator moving a bit when the pulley fell down. i tried to tighten everything up, but the bolt that holds the alternator in place stripped out and wouldnt hold tension on the belt. so yeah, i basically drove 25-30 miles on minimal charging and the battery. every time i would turn the wheel, the charge light would come on and when i used turn signals, the radio would turn off, lol. but thanks to that battery and i am thinking the rx's desire to live to irritate me another day, i made it home safely.

sorry for the novel, lol.

This:

354657268h7w5xxlhr0.jpg

is a Beautiful Picture, Awesome Lookin` Subie! ... I Like it! :)

Well... Why do you need That Battery & Relocation? ... My EA82 Wagon have a 100 Amps Battery Right in the Stock Place (100 Amps but in the Standard Size) seems like 100 Amps is Enough for it, Powering the HID Lights, Halogens, Aftermarket Stereo plus a Trunk Mounted "Bazooka" (That`s How we call here to a Cylinder Shaped Box, containing 12" Woofers and the Amplificator Unit inside) also everything is Electric (Power Windows, Mirrors, Locks... ) even the A/C...

I Believe my Alternator is Taking the Hardest Work...

I can't believe that you didn't turn the radio off on the drive home. It seems like you'd want as little electrical drain as possible.

you know, common sence would dictate that one would turn it off, but i tend to lack common sence and i cant remember how to turn the sterio off, lol.

Well... Why do you need That Battery & Relocation? ... [/quote]

on mine, it was due to the intercooler plumbing.

DSCF0335.jpg