Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej 22 swap.. help

beans

alright i swapped an ej 22 into an 1986 subaru gl wagon from a 1993 subaru legacy.. so i had spark problems.. i figured that out to be a stupid wiring problem.. not the car will run but.. it will only run for about 15 seconds or so.. i am thinking it is a fuel pressure problem.. there is a 1987 spfi fuel pump in it.. i can prime the system for 2 cycles of the key and it will start run for a little not long at all.. then just die.. anything you can think of will help like maybe which fuel pump to use and where to put it in the system.. right now it is mounted on the strut tower right off the ea fuel lines.. ???????:-\:-\:-\:-\:-\

lol, check out my build on my EJ swap into my 86 wagon, im having the same problem.

i found that the ECU is not giving 12V to the fuel pump relay so i have to take the harness back out of the car and OHM out every wire now.

i checked for 12 volts to the fuel pump when it is running.. i have 11.7 volts. it stays at 11.7 volts until the car dies then it goes to zero..

i figured it out.. i never cut the old fuel pump out of the system.. so it was restricting flow.. i put a new line in completely cutting out the pump and now it runs and runs and i love ej swaps.. the car has power its great thanks much

Isn't the SPFI fuel pump quite a bit lower pressure than the EJ's port injected system?

No, pumps are the same pressure. Its the engine that runs different pressure. The SPFI lowers it to about 22psi. While the EJ uses about 45psi. The pumps are good for upto 60psi I've heard.

i figured it out.. i never cut the old fuel pump out of the system.. so it was restricting flow.. i put a new line in completely cutting out the pump and now it runs and runs and i love ej swaps.. the car has power its great thanks much

Yeah, only way you can keep the old pump is if you run a surge tank. Old low pressure pump pumps into the surge tank, high pressure pump pumps out of the surge tank into the engine and back into the surge tank. Only need/want to do this with older EA81 non-turbo cars though.

No, pumps are the same pressure. Its the engine that runs different pressure. The SPFI lowers it to about 22psi. While the EJ uses about 45psi. The pumps are good for upto 60psi I've heard.

no, no, no. Carbed uses about 10 psi. FI EA82s and N/A EJs use about 40 psi, and turbo EJs use the same pressure, but about double the cfm.

an SPFI EA82 fuel pump will run an N/A EJ22 without any difficulty.

no, no, no. Carbed uses about 10 psi. FI EA82s and N/A EJs use about 40 psi, and turbo EJs use the same pressure, but about double the cfm.

an SPFI EA82 fuel pump will run an N/A EJ22 without any difficulty.

:-\ just what I read on this forum. I know they use 40psi pumps, but a pump will only generate that pressure if flow is restricted enough on the return line. I also know EJ22 OBD1 fuel pressure is regulated by vacuum, or at least mine was.

• 3 weeks later...
alright i swapped an ej 22 into an 1986 subaru gl wagon from a 1993 subaru legacy.. so i had spark problems.. i figured that out to be a stupid wiring problem.. not the car will run but.. it will only run for about 15 seconds or so.. i am thinking it is a fuel pressure problem.. there is a 1987 spfi fuel pump in it.. i can prime the system for 2 cycles of the key and it will start run for a little not long at all.. then just die.. anything you can think of will help like maybe which fuel pump to use and where to put it in the system.. right now it is mounted on the strut tower right off the ea fuel lines.. ???????:-\:-\:-\:-\:-\

wanted some info on you engine swap... what type of trans do you have in your wagon and was it easy to do the engine swap, any wiring issues and problems? I have a 92 loyale wagon 3EAT with 1.8 EA82 and heard i can do a EJ22 & 4EAT swap.