Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Advice

I'm getting ready to take a big trip from VA to AK about 5500 miles in my 92 loyale with 160k miles. The question I have regards the fuel pump. Once in the past year I have had to do the hit the fuel pump to make the car run trick. Does that mean the pump is ready to go sometime soon? and would you drive a 5500 mile trip with the pump or replace it?

If you question whether you need to replace a potentially

faulty fuel pump, before embarking on a 5500 mile journey,

perhaps you should consider flying instead?

Really though, replace it. Keep the old one in the trunk.

Check this out as well: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30384&highlight=Road+trip

have a spare spfi pump in the trunk

along with spare

fuel

fuel filter

ATF

coolant

oil

oil filter

t-belts

belts

axles

starter

alternator

waterpump

lugnuts

tools

service manuals

trucker's road atlas

Alot of these parts would be much easier to change before you leave on the trip then carrying it as a spare.

nipper

I've just done t-belts and have the old ones stowed, replaced axle boots, and water pump. Drive belts are new but I'll put in a some spares they are cheep. I might look into the F-150 fuel pump and put the current one in the back. I don't have an alt but the current one is new and I carry tools, towing strap, jumper cables, repair manuals, camping gear, food water, clutch cable, and a bunch of other fluids.

My question was more, if I had to tap on the fuel pump once, does that mean its going bad?

I've just done t-belts and have the old ones stowed, replaced axle boots, and water pump. Drive belts are new but I'll put in a some spares they are cheep. I might look into the F-150 fuel pump and put the current one in the back. I don't have an alt but the current one is new and I carry tools, towing strap, jumper cables, repair manuals, camping gear, food water, clutch cable, and a bunch of other fluids.

My question was more, if I had to tap on the fuel pump once, does that mean its going bad?

If you have to tap an electric motor to get it moving, it has a tired bushing on a bad winding. I would replace it.

nipper