Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 In RX??

There have been two ppl that I know of that has done that...well, Witte put it in a GL-10 wagon. The other guy...i dont remember his name, did it to a Coupe, I dont remember if it was an RX or not. He was also putting the complete XT6 interior in as well. He's got pics on a site somewhere....so if anyone remembers, post!

it is possible. I forget who it is, but there's a person on the boards with an XT6 motor in his brat. I've heard of EJ20 and EJ22 swaps, so it should be possible for the RX. (especially because the EA82 engine compartment is larger and wider than EA81. If someone can put it in a brat that is EA81, it can be done.)

Also, the XT6 motor uses EA82 technology for the driveline.

you could swap in a XT6 motor and tranny no problem, but you would have to (i'm pretty sure) make new locations for your engine mounts, plus move the tranny mounts up farther.

That's the difference between the XT and the XT6... the tranny is mounted closer towards the front (It's either towards the front or towards the back)

you CAN install the XT trans mounts on the XT6 trans, and it bolts right into stock location behind an EA82. I did that. The FT4WD XT and XT6 transmissions, has the capability for both styles of trans mounts. The XT6 uses a legacy style from the factory, while the XT uses the normal Leone style.

The engine will mate up to a EA81/82 tranny that is in it's normal position on normal mounts.

The engine mount itself is rather simple to fabricate. You can't use the ER27 mounts and the stock EA81 mounts fall short although they match up in the rear. The front "tab" must be extended by about in inch. I cut off the front tab from the ER27 motor mount and welded it over the EA81 mount to extend it.

The hill holder (if present) will be in the way and while you can move it I chose to replace it with a simple T.

The fitment of the engine is really not the problem. The problem is fitting a cooling solution. The front of the engine comes right up to where the radiator was. Fitting a smaller radiator to a larger engine is not the ideal solution. In my case, with the large lift, I was able to fit the radiator above the engine in a reclined mount and the fan and hood vent line up with it when closed. This solution leaves 1/4 of an inch clearance so I can tell you it won't work with a simple 4 inch lift.

underhood.jpg

hood3.jpg

er27intruck.JPG

Yea, the biggest problme that someone would have with this conversion is where to put the radiator. The engine is a lot longer and there is nop room for the stock radaiator in the stock location. Subarubrat came up with one solution.

You could go riceboy, and make some huge front body kit, and put the rad out there. LOL

Something like this impreza toy car I have: (copy and paste link)

http://www.geocities.com/wmaham1701/angle.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/wmaham1701/side.jpg

I looke and thought...there is lots of room up there for something...like a rad, if i want to throw an EG33 under the hood and Twin turbo it.

• 6 years later...

you could swap in a XT6 motor and tranny no problem, but you would have to (i'm pretty sure) make new locations for your engine mounts, plus move the tranny mounts up farther.

That's the difference between the XT and the XT6... the tranny is mounted closer towards the front (It's either towards the front or towards the back)

NOPE. The engines and trans in the xt/xt6 are in the same location. The xt/xt6 share the same floorpans as any ea82(coupe/sadan) and it's the additional space under the hood that allows for the er27 6 cyl engine. In the 4 cyl models, you can remove the engine without pulling the radiator, since it sits farther forward relative the the engine crossmember.

the er27 will bolt in place the same in any ea82 car, except there will be no more room for the radiator i it's original location.

The er27 engine is basically an ea82 with 2 more cylinders at the rear, that will be at the top or bottom of their stroke when the remaining 4 pistons are at the center of their bores.

NOPE. The engines and trans in the xt/xt6 are in the same location. The xt/xt6 share the same floorpans as any ea82(coupe/sadan) and it's the additional space under the hood that allows for the er27 6 cyl engine. In the 4 cyl models, you can remove the engine without pulling the radiator, since it sits farther forward relative the the engine crossmember.

the er27 will bolt in place the same in any ea82 car, except there will be no more room for the radiator i it's original location.

The er27 engine is basically an ea82 with 2 more cylinders at the rear, that will be at the top or bottom of their stroke when the remaining 4 pistons are at the center of their bores.

Seriously? Are you snowed in or just really bored?

Why would you resurrect a 7yr old thread to just to make a point with someone that only comes around every couple of years?

I realized this was an old post half way through typing my response. I clicked 'submit reply' anyway as far as contributing to the archival factor of this post. I came upon it viewing the 'who's online' section......

No i am not snowed in, as there is no snow. That is why i am inside on my computer. If we had any snow, i would be out on my ploaris ATV making some $$$ with its plow:headbang:

• 2 years later...

Seriously? Are you snowed in or just really bored?

Why would you resurrect a 7yr old thread to just to make a point with someone that only comes around every couple of years?

I think you are missing one of the values of a forum, ie; a repository for valuable future referance.

It is now 2013 and I am searching for this very information and very grateful to Milesfox as well as the others for helping out.   ;)