Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new guy chiming in.

tree18is

whats up guys. I cannot believe I havnt found this place before or even thought of the 4wd system that subaru has engineered.

Ive been looking in all the wrong places

honda awd wagons-impossible to find

toyota 4wd wagons- NO support

toyota trucks- all ready been done

and there 4wd vans- impossible to find.

So now im here and IM way way to late.

these are my plans and what im aiming to eventually build

87-90 square light EA-82 fuel injected hopefully

D/R trans would be a plus, but I dont think ill get that lucky, probably have to swap it in.

as I troll around here It seems like the 4' lift is getting the job done just about everywhere, There are some 6 inch lifts on youtube but I cannot decide if its to goofy looking or not (your take?)

the TSL's are way bad a__ looking on the rigs, but I would probably go something 28-29 all terrain like.

Redrilled chevy wheels, or the boat trailer style are the best in my .02

and the custom bumpers you guys come up pretty much are just a pissing contest of who can make the best most functional one *great sport* : )

and it seems like there are nothing but good willed nice people on the OFF ROAD board willing to help.

any ways whats are your thoughts on my plans.

thanks.

Dan

DR is easy to find.If anything you could find a carbed model with a DR and swap in the fuel injection-much easier than swapping transmissions.

You may however want to just go for anything with a DR then later swap in a fuel injected EJ22.

yes, swampers and tsl's do look good but unless you are going offroad alot stick with all terrains.

get 'em......

by the way, this post will probably me moved.there are different areas of the forum for different things.this technically goes in the meet and greet section i think.

no offroad verbage.plans are one thing,but cold hard facts are another.cheers, brian

depends on what you wish to do.the only thing a larger lift on a stock rig does for you is bigger tires.and you will not want to big of tires,the average is 28"....it is all about the gearing.cheers, brian

just thinking, and as I look the 6" lift really isnt necessary is it?

I personally find my 27x8.5R14's too much of a gearing disadvantage... But I've watched videos of subies with 30" tyres, they just hammer them more..

I'd go a 4" lift, some 28's if its mostly offroad stuff that isn't rucky climbs. EJ22, D/R box. Some good recovery points (tow bars are great).

Get some SSR's... That's what I want

yup, no roo-age here, but im pretty set on it, so i look for them often.

there are some ones up north here is a link what do you guys think

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1066259607.html

That might be a pretty good deal, considering how rare soobs are in TX. Both have your basic requirements, too. One running car, and lots of parts. :banana:

whats up guys. I cannot believe I havnt found this place before or even thought of the 4wd system that subaru has engineered.

Ive been looking in all the wrong places

honda awd wagons-impossible to find

toyota 4wd wagons- NO support

toyota trucks- all ready been done

and there 4wd vans- impossible to find.

So now im here and IM way way to late.

these are my plans and what im aiming to eventually build

87-90 square light EA-82 fuel injected hopefully

D/R trans would be a plus, but I dont think ill get that lucky, probably have to swap it in.

as I troll around here It seems like the 4' lift is getting the job done just about everywhere, There are some 6 inch lifts on youtube but I cannot decide if its to goofy looking or not (your take?)

the TSL's are way bad a__ looking on the rigs, but I would probably go something 28-29 all terrain like.

Redrilled chevy wheels, or the boat trailer style are the best in my .02

and the custom bumpers you guys come up pretty much are just a pissing contest of who can make the best most functional one *great sport* : )

and it seems like there are nothing but good willed nice people on the OFF ROAD board willing to help.

any ways whats are your thoughts on my plans.

thanks.

Dan

Dan

that car ( EA82 ) is my personal choice , has better axles ,

you will need a dual range for hill climbing ,

a 26 or 27 " tire is good for the stock engine if you swap in a EA81 or a EJ 2.2 you can go bigger tires,

the stock engine is a dog in the lower RPMS, 4" lift will do it , 6" allows for bigger tires and for looks,

TSLs rule if mud is in your plans, the SSRs radials are somewhat soft and will wear fast, I would go not so agresive if the car will live on the road most its miles,

redrilled wheels are easy to do

when I build again it will have the following

EA82 wagon

EJ2.2 engine from a lagacy

6" SJR lift

30 x 950 M/Ts Hankooks

Scott ( owner and Builder of SJRLIFT )

good luck and keep us posted when you start to build :banana:

DR is easy to find.If anything you could find a carbed model with a DR and swap in the fuel injection-much easier than swapping transmissions.

You may however want to just go for anything with a DR then later swap in a fuel injected EJ22.

yes, swampers and tsl's do look good but unless you are going offroad alot stick with all terrains.

its easier to swap in a D/R then it is to swap intake manifolds, and wire in SPFI as well as change fuel pumps and such.

so just find a SPFI D/R car if thats what you want. i personally swapped in a EJ22 into my 86 and LOVE the power it has, its a very common swap and great for a daily driver.

also if you want to do any kind of offroad get some decent M/T's, i went with A/T's because its my daily driver and thats what i could get for free and i HATE THEM. get the TSL SSR's, they will last just fine if you dont drive the car like its a race car.

Thanks for the warm welcome scott.

and does anyone have a picture of the dual range tranny. Im really surprised there isnt alot of FAQ stickied threads like the BMW forums have.

any ways Im really looking everyday in everyplace a can.. still nothing anywhere.

lol assembled please, I just want to make sure I know what it looks like so when I see it in the junk yard Im good to go!

and the operation levers in the car.

This is the levers going into my 83 sedan, but you can see what they look like in this photo at least.

83sedan_shifter_hole.jpg

Wrong side, but you can still see the levers on the 5sp, and see how it differs to the 4sp D/R.

pt4wd_ea82_dualrange_5sp_gearbox2.jpg

Ahh, I see.

my junk yard has a D/R tranny then. awesome.

now how am I to tell if its a lsd d/r?

and im about to go search for the five speed conversion thread as well.

(im back)

the one at the JY is probably a 4spd D/R due to it having the pull up style selector, not the push stlye of the 5spd.

and I also read you have to match the gear ratio to the rear pumpking of the car your swaping it into.. crap.. an auto will surley have the wrong ratio and also that VLSD transfer case.. so I better just keep looking for the perfect ea82.. : (

thanks

Edited by tree18is

You can get a 5 speed and a dual range as well. the 4 speeds manuels were ea81 series, you have ea82

There are a few kinds. In the 80s you could get a DL wish a push button 4wd single range, or a GL with a Dual Range 4wd. Latter on in the 90s they just changed the name to loyale and had only push button 4wd single range. If you see a stickshift with a dual range its a 5 speed, unless it is in a car older then 85. Right.

Also more then likely the rear end will match up. Most of them are 3.9, but some came with a 3.9 or a 3.7 LSD but most of them are 3.9 regular rear ends. You can tell buy the tab on the rearend of your car. It will say lsd in it if it is a limited slip. Oh and buy the way if you get a limited slip you are doin awsome because its a good thing to have.

Edited by The Dude Abides