Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a 1984 Turbo Traction Wagon Worth?

Hi All,

I have a 1984 GL 10 turbo 4WD, 3 speed auto, traction-wagon with alloy rims. I think it was one of the first turbo models to come out back then, before the digi dash and the last before timing belts. It has the big “Turbo 4WD Subaru” logo low on the doors on both sides. I wonder if anyone can tell me what it’s worth? It has about 190,000 miles, leaks oil and the auto trany is slow to engage when putting into drive. The front end looks as if it was repainted.

Thanks

EEEEVVVVIIIIILLLLLLLL :lol:

Don't ask how much it's worth, more like how much you can get it for... Noss got a really, really rust free nice maroon one a while back for a very good price. Less then $500 IIRC... Thing was pure evil though... I'm not sue it ever ran right.:-\

Hi All,

I have a 1984 GL 10 turbo 4WD, 3 speed auto, traction-wagon with alloy rims. I think it was one of the first turbo models to come out back then, before the digi dash and the last before timing belts. It has the big “Turbo 4WD Subaru” logo low on the doors on both sides. I wonder if anyone can tell me what it’s worth? It has about 190,000 miles, leaks oil and the auto trany is slow to engage when putting into drive. The front end looks as if it was repainted.

Thanks

If it was a GL-10 from the factory it WOULD have had a digital dash. If it doesn;t now it has been replaced.

If it was a Brat, Coupe, or even Sedan, it would be worth alot more. as it is, it may be worth 1000-1500, right now. Probably won't increase in value much like a brat. It would be excellent for a parts car for someone.

If it was a Brat, Coupe, or even Sedan, it would be worth alot more.

I know the coupes, and especially Brats are worth ALOT more, but I always though the sedans were worth less than the wagons. Or maybe it's just that I would not be willing to pay as much for a sedan as a wagon -- less useful, but not any cooler.

I know the coupes, and especially Brats are worth ALOT more, but I always though the sedans were worth less than the wagons. Or maybe it's just that I would not be willing to pay as much for a sedan as a wagon -- less useful, but not any cooler.

There are 2 types of values here. *Driveable* value, and *Collectable* value.

4wd Sedans are more rare.

They were all either Turbo GL-10s or *high luxury* carbed model. (Automatic, PW, PS, AC, Sunroof,6 speaker sound, available only in Black, Silver, or Metallic Dark Grey)

4wd wagons are a dime a dozen, and came in all sorts of trim levels.

I think 4wd Sedans are WAY cooler than wagons. But aside from my opinion, it is the rarity that I am saying adds value.

Wagon may have more *driveable* value as a car to use for transportation.

But Brats, Coupes, Sedans, are more rare and more likely to have *collectable* value.

There are 2 types of values here. *Driveable* value, and *Collectable* value.

Ah, makes sense when you think of it that way. Speaking of collectable value instead of driveable value, I just bought a landrover (1967) instead of an old toyota land cruiser which is cheaper, easier to find parts for, better wiring, etc, if all I'd wanted was a 4wd station wagon of about that size. Because there are a gazillion 80's landcruisers around here, and only about 4 old landrovers. Definitey not chosen the the most driveable for the money :grin:

Generally, they are worth whatever the seller is willing to let them go for.

I think you've got that backwards. It is worth as much as a buyer will pay for it.

You, as the seller may think it has more value, but that is a figure that only means something to YOU. You can say it's worth a million dollars because that is what you will "let it go for", but get real. It's worth whatever someone will pay you for it.

EEEEVVVVIIIIILLLLLLLL :lol:

Don't ask how much it's worth, more like how much you can get it for... Noss got a really, really rust free nice maroon one a while back for a very good price. Less then $500 IIRC... Thing was pure evil though... I'm not sue it ever ran right.:-\

Sadly I parted that car out. It made 2 other 84 Turbos run right again and I got the 4spd d/r conversion out of it for my turbo brat. That car went thru at least 5 different USMB members and many friends trying to figure it out but never could. I assure you and any others that tinkered on it that it was electrical but nothing on the engine itself including its wiring was the problem as the motor went complete into another car and ran perfectly. It wasnt the ECM or MAF either as 5 different ones didnt fix that either. I have a feeling a wire was pinched or not completely touching inside a connector intermittantly.

When it did run it sure ran sweet.

Id agree though, pure evil. Never seen a machine fool so many.

That being said...if it isnt in perfect mechanical condition I wouldnt put a very high value on it. These were the first attempt at EFI, Turbo, MPFI, knock sensor, and coupled to a bad 3AT these cars are about as unreliable as it gets in an 80's Subaru. When owned by a proper 84 Turbo nerd they are sweet but they take a lot of time and patience.

Theres about 10 feet of high pressure fuel line that needs to be replaced on any of these cars at this point because most are rotting away from age. I barely made it from Cali to Denver in one because of this and still have line to replace. The lines on the injectors themselves are a real PITA.

Good luck and like most said above its worth what somebody is willing to pay.

You can say it's worth a million dollars because that is what you will "let it go for", but get real. It's worth whatever someone will pay you for it.

True, but I can estimate roughly how many original EA81Ts there are v. all other USDM EA81s based on how long the EA81 was imported here (about 9 years, in the case of the hatchback v. 1.5 years for the turbos), and it isn't a very large percentage... If you don't want to spend more than $1,500 or $2,000 on an EA81T that's your prerogative and I've got no problem with it. You can probably find a really good one for that price that will fulfill all your boosted EA81 fantisies. On the other hand, you certainly won't be getting my wagon for that price.

Ratty ones are super cheap, check out some of the rusty east coast ones that occationally pop up on eBay, we've got no argument there... More cherry examples are still a relative unknown quantity. The nicer cars just don't go up for sale often, and as these cars are still near the bottom of their depreciation curve, there is still room for their value to grow, weather or not they do, only time will tell.

Edited by carfreak85
Censored by the mighty Mods... Oh, and I fixed a spelling mistake.