Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 cams: Dual carb vs. hydro (sorry 56k)

Well, there isn't much information on the dual carb EA81s around here, so I thought I might share some pictures of the DC cam next to a hydro one. :banana:

Be warned. Just a few large pictures. :grin:

Hydro "76" stamp.

P3300001.jpg

Very awesome "77" for the DC.

Rather astute pupils should see the main difference between them now.

P3300002.jpg

Hydro: top - DC: bottom

Not totally obvious yet, but pretty easy to see.

P3300003.jpg

Hydro: top - DC: bottom

Main difference is about as obvious as possible now.

P3300009.jpg

Hydro

P3300010.jpg

DC

P3300011.jpg

When I took the DC cam to Delta Cam to look into a grind, Qman told me the hydro actually was a bit hotter. Easy to see the truth of that, with the pictures.

Hydro to the left.

The lobe is fatter all the way around.

P3300008.jpg

Hydro

Bigger lobes.

P3300004.jpg

DC

Sleeker and, uh, sexier lobes... I guess? :-p

P3300005.jpg

Hydro

P3300006.jpg

DC

P3300007.jpg

So, there you have it. Any other curiosities, let me know. :)

Thanks John!

(Not sure why some of them are rotated in Photobucket, but not here.)

Edited by Psyko

Asking just for clarification.

Lift and duration is the key here for more "performance" out of a cam grind, yes?

I know that you can't have the lobe bigger than the bearing journal of a cam, so you "decrease" the base of the lobe. Therefore, "increasing" the lift, yes?

Duration would be accomplished by "widening" the top of the lobe, yes?

Reason for asking is,

The DC cam "appears" to have smaller bases, but the "lobes" don't look any wider at the peak area. Looks like more "lift", but not to much "duration".

The Hydro cam "appears" to have largers base area, but the lobes look to be "wider" at the peak area. Looks like more duration, but less "lift".

Am I just seeing things wrong here?

edit:

I know the valve open/close timing has to do with it also, just asking about the lift/duration aspect of it.

Edited by TomRhere

I can't exactly answer all the questions because I'm not cam expert (I know nothing more than the common sense of them really). I can pull out the caliper, to make some measurements, and try to apply some common sense, that is hopefully mildly correct, though.

I started by measuring the cams across the skinniest section.

Hydro: 31 mm

DC: 27.25 mm

I then measured across, including the lobe, so top of lobe to opposite side of cam.

Hydro: 36 mm

DC: 33 mm

Some quick math...

36 - 31 mm means that the hydro has 5 mm of lift.

33 - 27.25 mm means that the DC has 5.75 mm of lift.

So, the DC does have a considerable (?) amount more lift than the hydro, but the hydro appears to have better duration because of its extra "meat." The extra thickness means the base of the lobe is fatter, making the valves open sooner and close later (I think...). Also, because the open and close angles (angle in which the lobes ramp up and down), on both the hydro and DC cams, appear to be similar and the hydro doesn't lift as high as the DC cam, the DC has a much sharper lobe tip and shorter fully open duration.

Hydro: Better duration (?)

DC: Better lift

If I really sat down and churned through the numbers and physics of it all, I might be able to see how the flow rates compare, but that's not something I'm prepared to do right now. Besides, to do that it would probably be helpful to have exact measurements of each cam so I can really know the area of each lobe. Basically, the question is, "what's got more surface area, a triangle (DC) or a slightly scaled up version of that triangle, but with it's tip cut off (hydro)?"

Anyway, nothing truly inspiring in my ramblings, but it's fun to think about, none-the-less. It'd be interesting to see what others have got to say or if there are any corrections to my assumptions.

Looks like the DC cam has shorter sharper lobes. Which is exactly what I thought it would have. This makes for a higher revving engine I think. Which is what these dualies are good at and made for. Rally cars need higher revs. And in ultralites and very small planes these dualie EA81's rev over 8k RPM all day long.

The intake and exhaust valves are swapped between dual and single carb heads on the inner lobes.

The hydraulic lobes are meatier. I used a hydraulic cam to grind my solid lift motors cam for the hot motor.

SOOO, if one were to persay... put a DC cam in an ea81 that had hydro heads, etc... you could essentially get an ea81 to run....

BACKWARDS!!! hmm... gets the gears turning in my head.