Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap EA22 for EJ18?

Hi everyone!

Fist of all don't expect me to use too well this language, I'm from Chile :)

I've been reading for weeks this forum and you really helped me, about 2 weeks ago my timing belt broken (well, my car's timing belt.. hehehe) and thanks to the posts I've read here and on other forums I was able to fix the problem with my own hands, the problem was not the belt, it was a bearing of a fixed wheel, I think it's a part of the tensioner, but is doesn't move. My car is an 89 GL 4WD Wagon with carb, 5 speed MT and lo range, the engine has never been repared so it leaks oil, a lot of oil. The lash adjusters sound in a strange way: Sometimes no one is making noise, sometimes only one does, sometimes the sing together like a chorus. I think I will replace the oil pump gasket (If i find them here in Santiago, otherwise I will have to buy them in the US using ebay). Today i found a guy here in Chile selling a EJ18 with AT and monopoint injection for app. 600 USD, and it came to me the idea of swap it into my car, but I don't really know if it's possible to do. My idea is to keep my MT gear box and put my carb to the EJ18. What do you think? Is it a good idea, if possible?

Thanks to all of you!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Duraznov

Ur engleska bettar than othars :D

assuming you mean ea82

ej can be swapped with alot of work

ej to ea adapter to keep the mt 5spd d/r

ej wiring harness modified to cooperate with the mt system due to ej being auto trans looking for neutral switch et. al.

either swap in the ej fuel pump and related or have a custom adapter to put carb on ej

reseal the oil pump, fix the leaks - valve covers and oil pan

the lash adjusters may quiet down with thicker oil 15w50 usually does the trick

chile the land of PKNT and salmon

Asuming I wrote EA22 for a reason I can't find :mad:

Can I edit the title? I started with the wrong foot, sorry :-\

Well, thank you for answer! maybe it would be too much work and it's worthy to give some fresh air to my current engine by replacing all the gaskets and seals. I'm using 10W40 oil and an original oil filter. What do you think? Is it possible to take off the engine at home, put it on my dinner table and open it? I'm not an expert, my job is in the electric area, but I'm confident on my hidden mechanical skills :grin:

...and I think it'll be cheaper to buy all the tools I need than paying to an expert (and much more funny, of course)

Thanks subiemech85!

This is my subie in the Desierto de Atacama

dli5pz.jpg

11t0nld.jpg

ojpctk.jpg

welcome to the USMB!

i've spent some time in Santiago and my wife worked there for 2.5 years. one Subaru dealer downtown was within walking distance of her place, we'd walk by it when walking around town from her place! i was neat to see what they had!

welcome.

how is your mechanical skills?

Head on over to the retrofitting section and take a look.

The hardest part of the swap is the wiring. But since you work with electrical, it should be easy. It's basically getting a copy of the diagrams and tracing them to the terminal ends and cleaning up the harness. Hopefully, the seller will include a harness for you. If not, I am sure that we can help you make something happen. I have to look in my garage, but I think I have a ECU and a complete uncut EJ18 harness. There are basically about a dozen or so wires that you need to get it merge with the car harness.

Mechanically you will need to get an adapter plate, RGuyver is having a blow out on his, if your EA82 is carbed, then you will need an SPFI fuel pump and high pressure hoses.

EJ18 fits right into the engine crossmember of the EA82 with no modifications needed. If the engine is not complete, you will need to source an ignitor & a MAF sensor possibly the coil pack and other sensors for the engine. Take a picture of the engine before you buy it and post it on here so we can give you some hints as to what you need.

how much do you think it is to ship an engine to chile, you could get one from the US for a lot cheaper than $600 bucks. But then shipping would kill you.

BW

• 5 months later...

¡Bienvenido! (Welcome!)

Nice Touring Wagon, I Like the Atacama Desert Landscapes, I Have been there Very Long Long Time Ago...

Could I Ask you if you Plan to Use a Carb + Disty Version of the EJ18 Engine, or the efi?

Our Latin American Specs for Subarus include some EJ Engined Subies with Stock Carb + Disty (I Have Lots of Pics + Video of one Runnin` Here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101887&page=2 ) Because the Carb + Disty Setup will make your Swap Job a Lot Easier...

Kind Regards.