Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTF, coolant leak back of intake (with pic) HELP PLEASE!!

well last night i got home from work and there was smoke pouring out from under my hood, no light to check it out last night.

today had the fiance rev it up while i was under the hood and from the back of the intake coolant was coming out at a pretty serious pace.

-88 GL-10 turbo

-swapped 92 loyale S/r push button 5spd

-136k miles

25heaef.jpg

Edited by codytotheh

There is a hose under the intake that preheats the throttle body. I had a very similar situation and that hose had broken. A real PIA to get to. From the front of the engine look under the intake and you can see the hos I am talking about. I'll bet you it is the culprit. The easiest way to replace it is by unbolting the intake and lifting it up. Remember to drain the system or you will get coolant into the cylinders and hydrolock the motor.

The hose is small and I just replaced it with fuel line of the appropriate diameter.

The other possibility is the cooling line to the turbo. It is on the front of the turbo, but if it is leaking on the bottom, it will pour coolant on the top of the block. Check that one too. It is on the passengers side of the intake to the turbo. Normal size hose.

I'm thinking that it is most likely the first one though.

Good luck

Yup, throttle body line. I replaced mine with 1/4" fuel hose. I can tell you for a fact that that is a pain to even find, since they are so buried and usually only leak under throttle.

You might want to go to a shop and have them put some dye in the coolant so you can see the source.

Yup, throttle body line. I replaced mine with 1/4" fuel hose.

The hose is small and I just replaced it with fuel line of the appropriate diameter.

The ethylene in the coolant will seep through the fuel line within a few years time. Additionally it is not meant to be exposed to constant 200+ degree heat. I used it, then saw detrimental long term effects.

You really should use Coolant hose

Carquest carries actual Coolant/heater hose in sizes from 1/4 on up.

If you are really hard up, use Trans cooler line. It is made for the heat at least

That little hose can be removed without lifting the intake.

It takes a pair of longnosed pliers tho, preferably with a angle.

The hose only has a spring clamp on the end under the intake.

The other end is easy.

It might be your water line to your turbo. the turbo is water cooled from your radiator.

The turbo gets cooled from the rad, true.

But the line comes from the water inlet on the thermostat housing.

The ethylene in the coolant will seep through the fuel line within a few years time. Additionally it is not meant to be exposed to constant 200+ degree heat. I used it, then saw detrimental long term effects.

You really should use Coolant hose

+1 to that. Been there, done that. Almost fried an engine when the fuel line failed only a year or so later.

That "little hose" is on the front to the engine, not behind the intake manifold and throttle body.

If not the turbo coolant line (might want to replace it while you are messing around; I have had several literally shatter on me :eek: ), then either the coolant manifold (runs directly behind the intake manifold, bolting to both ends hear the head) or where either the CTS or thermo-vacuum-valve screw into the coolant manifold.