Ultimate Subaru Message Board

April Snow.... 34"

Okay. Got some serious snow this weekend -- the first one all winter here. 34" on the flat, though about 48 inches fell (compacted the lower layers before it finished snowing). Heavy wet stuff too....

Pics... (not completely off topic... my Justy is in one of them)

Saturday morning. Hmmm.... where's the house? The Sasquatch only has about a foot on it from friday night -- I had it all plowed out at dark on Friday.

Bory1.jpg

Took 4 hours with the tractor to get out to the highway (about 50 feet) and get a parking area cleared a bit.

tractor.jpg

Hey, look, I found a subaru. There's actually two more subarus and another pickup truck in this photo.... somewhere....

unburiedsubaru.jpg

Parking spot all shoveled out

shoveledout.jpg

Sun came out Saturday afternoon and the snow started sliding off the solar panels ... the power was out for about three days, so I tapped into my battery bank (I'd never actually hooked up backup power, even though I have all the equipment....)

solarpanels.jpg

Look... I found the D-50

D50.jpg

And a VW rabbit -- I had to put a new starter motor in it, but then it started, first time since about a year ago when I took it apart for some maintenance. Pulled right out of the snowbank even being 2wd... cast iron diesel engine right above the drive wheels is nice sometimes icon_smile.gif

Rabbit.jpg

Tried to drive up a friend's road in the D-50 Sunday afternoon -- with the warm temps it's sunk about a foot from the highest, but still no go... slushy slime above the bumper....

D50-2.jpg

man do i miss that. I remember living in Denver, getting 36" snow in one night, and when i got ot work the next day, my pager was going off. I forgot to check the back fence, and my dog had jumped over the 6ft tall fence. Had to go home, pick up the dog from said neighbor, and shovel out around the fence so he wouldn't jump out.

fun times.

thanks for the awesome pictures. has it all melted by now?

thats some serious snow. i see your tractor is a 2wd how well does that work?

Well -- depends on what direction you're going. going and facing uphill, it's pretty good. It will bash through deep snow better than the 4wd truck with studded tires. If you are trying to back uphill though, forget about it -- weight isn't on the drive wheels. Also, if you pick up a big load of snow in the scoop, it moves the weight forwards off the drive wheels, so you better be facing uphill, because it won't back up otherwise. I keep thinking about how to stick the front axle from a jeep under it and drive it somehow... course, then, I'd have a front differential to drag -- right now, it's got about 14" of clearance all the way under it.

Hey those are some nice looking Solar panels..how much where those to put up and how much power did you get off of them?

They're 3.4kW (DC rating). They're currently producing more energy than the house needs, but I'm also working on an electric car, which will take at least as much as the house likely. The price, I can't remember exactly -- I design solar arrays for a living, so I got all the parts wholesale and did it in my spare time. The utility rebates usually pay for about half the cost, but I think they were more like 3/4 in my case. Street value of that array before rebates is about $25k.

Edited by zyewdall

Hey Zeke! Down here in Lyons we got about......0". It rained for three days! Carol and I drove up to Estes on Sunday and there was a solid 24" still at Allenspark and Meeker Park. We got nothing. I bet I don't live 15 miles from you as the crow flies. Elevation is everything! The river sure did get high here today!

From my neck of the woods. this is why we have major flooding going on this year

North Dakota

:eek: Wow. That's a deep drift there. I've only seen stuff like that in the northern cascades when they open highway 20 with the rotary in the spring.

Z