Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have an EJ18 Impreza 1994. Its done 191,000Kms

I had been using my car no problems until I went to go out this afternoon.

And my car just wouldn't start.

It sounds like its just not getting the last kick it needs to start.

It can't be battery or starter motor as it is turning over.

Could this be the Cambelt or Fuel Pump or a fuse maybe? I would have no idea really.

Any help please??

There's about 3,400 things it could be. Realize we are very good (and humble :lol:), but we can't see or touch the car. That's tough. So give us as many specific details as you can.

You haven't given any details, but my guess is a broken timing belt. If it's original it's 15+ years old. Remove the left or right timing belt cover and have a peak. It's only 3 10mm bolts and that's it, very easy. See if the belt is broken. If it is, often you can hear a slightly "slapping" noise if any of the pulleys are still grabbing the belt at all.

Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Any check engine light, have you read the codes?

Does it have spark? That's easy and important.

Have you tried jumping it and do the battery connections look clean and tight? Turning over does not rule these things out.

Edited by grossgary

Could be no fuel either. You should check to make sure that you actually have fuel pressure. This can be done by removing the "in line" that goes to the fuel filter, sticking it in a bucket, and trying to start the car. If the bucket has gas in it, you know you have fuel.

Things I always start with when it comes to a car that won't start is gas and spark. Pull a plug to see if it sparks and check to make sure you have fuel pressure.

If the timing belt is broken, as Gary mentioned, that will make your startup impossible, so check that first as that's the easiest :)

I've checked the cambelt and it doesn't look broken and is on the mark.

I've checked the fuses and they're good.

I've checked connections to battery etc, good.

I put new NGK spark plugs in about 10,000kms ago. Not sure when plug wires were last changed.

also how do I read the codes?

thanks

Edited by sub_dont_touch

I've pulled the hose of the "in" of the fuel filter and loads of gas was coming out. I'm sure it was more than usual, would this be from all the starting I've tried to do?

I do have about half a tank of gas.

EDIT:

I also checked all the spark plugs 4 spark. The two front ones sparked. The back two didn't, would this be the coil pack?

Edited by sub_dont_touch

that sounds normal. a fair amount will come out and the fuel pump primes for one second when the ignition is turned "on" even when the engine is "off", so it's typically under good pressure.

no check engine light?

im' thinking it's probably the cam or crank sensor. normally you get a check engine light with those, but not always. not sure how to tell you to go about finding out which one it is - cam or crank. you can buy them used for really cheap...someone on here would probably send you one of each. i would just swap in two used ones to see if that helps. they are really easy to replace, nothing special to it and should only take a couple minutes.

post in the parts wanted forum for both of these. might want to research first (look online or call) to see if EJ22 and EJ18 sensors are the same. they should be, EJ22 stuff will be much easier to find.

verify you're getting spark at all 4 wires. get an old (or new) plug..any plug will do. pull each wire off and attach it to the plug. hold the plug with insulated wrench and hold it close to a ground in the engine bay while trying to start the car. verify good spark at each wire.

EDIT:

I also checked all the spark plugs 4 spark. The two front ones sparked. The back two didn't, would this be the coil pack?

DING DING DING - yes, i almost didnt' see that - you need a new coil pack. get a used one for $15 from a yard...buy two if you're scared and put one in the glove box.

easy fix, woo hoo!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently changed the Crank Angle Sensor, still not working although making a different sound when trying to start.

--

I have tried pulling the in-line off the fuel filter, it has filled up 1 and 1/2 drink bottles, still dribbling (I do have half a tank of gas) . This means it's not the fuel filter???

--

Checked for spark. To me there is spark (little sparks)

--

Cambelt is not broken.

--

My friend told me to replace this black square thing he called a Timing Regulator or something. Is this necessary?

timingregulatorg.jpg

--

I have used injector cleaner a few weeks before all this happened

--

What I don't understand is that I had been using my car a few hours before it died. There nothing that indicated to me it was about to die.

Edited by sub_dont_touch

thanks for the new input :)

Ill try both those ideas.

Do you know where to find the coolant temp sensor on an ej18?

Rear portion of engine, under the intake, on passenger side.

Brown 2 wire connector, it's right next to a single wire connector for the temp gauge.

You may have to remove some of the IAC and PCV tubing and move the wiring for the coil and IAC around to see it.

I see you have tried many of the suggestions here and they were good suggestions, but if it was mine I would now go to Auto store and get a set of noid lights and test the pigtails that plug into the fuel injectors. These are little lights that plug on to the end of the pigtail, then turn the engine over and see if they are flashing, if not you may have a bad E.C.U.