Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought a 2.5 SOHC to replace a 2.5 DOHC in a '99 OBW. I do not know the year, or the donor vehicle. I do know that it has 61k kms marked on it and cost me $300.

It has what appears to be an oil cooler between the block and the oil filter. The water goes from the port normally used for a block heater to the rump roast'y, then towards the water pump. The pump is damaged so I do not know if it returned to the thermo bonnet or to another return hose, or to the pump itself.

My question is; Is this factory for some other or future model? Worth keeping? and if so what should I order a water pump for? I know, more than 1 question. Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bought a 2.5 SOHC to replace a 2.5 DOHC in a '99 OBW. I do not know the year, or the donor vehicle. I do know that it has 61k kms marked on it and cost me $300.

It has what appears to be an oil cooler between the block and the oil filter. The water goes from the port normally used for a block heater to the rump roast'y, then towards the water pump. The pump is damaged so I do not know if it returned to the thermo bonnet or to another return hose, or to the pump itself.

My question is; Is this factory for some other or future model? Worth keeping? and if so what should I order a water pump for? I know, more than 1 question. Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The water pump is damaged? On the new engine? As dave mentioned personally I would buy an entire engine gasket set from Subaru and reseal the entire engine and replace the t-belt and componants while its out of the car...

The water pump you got has the nozzle for the bypass return though doesn't it? I believe that's how that oil cooler plumbs in, one line goes from the heater core and throttle bypass return and the other goes to the little nozzle on the water pump, replacign that short length of hose that is normally there?